ADSM-L

NT and restore partitions

1998-09-04 08:02:41
Subject: NT and restore partitions
From: Bob Gleason <Bob_Gleason AT IDG DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 08:02:41 -0400
     The redbook on NT recommends a small restore partition on a NT server.
We have just installed 2 new servers with raid 5 and 3 9gb drive. When we
partiton the drive under disk admin and try to use the last segment of the
drive for the restore partition amessage comes up stating that MS-DOS
cannot recognize cylinders that end in xxxx. The work around is to move the
restore partiton up so that we can boot from this partition.
     Under the day to day functional version of NT we have changed the
drive letter to Z so that nobody gets confused and tries to store data to
it. This Z drive is a fully functional NT partiton. When I boot to the
restore partiton. It show the drive letter of D ( which is how MS-DOS would
see it). The volumes are labeled. Will booting from this partiton and
attempting a so called bare metal restore will the drive lettering cause us
any problems.
Thanks
Bob