ADSM-L

Re[2]: Move data question

1997-10-28 10:14:06
Subject: Re[2]: Move data question
From: ALLEN BARTH <abarth AT KEMPER DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 09:14:06 -0600
     Tom,

     If I understand you correctly, you'd like to see the tape
     rewound/unloaded and the drive freed.  I think that would be a very
     BAD design, operationally speaking.  One must remember that ADSM is
     24x7 software.  Hence, it is entirely possible that while doing a move
     data tape->disk, one or more disk pool volumes could be deleted.  That
     being the case, files that *would* have fit in the diskpool won't
     anymore, and must go to the next stgpool.  If that next stgpool is
     tape and it got demounted after the first file got moved, there is a
     possibility that another subtask will allocate that drive, holding up
     the move data task.  Even if another task didn't allocate the drive,
     the amount of time it takes to mount/locate...write...rewind/unload is
     comparatively large and non productive.

     Just my thoughts,
     Al Barth
     Zurich Kemper Investments