ADSM-L

Re: ADSM with Network Appliance FA Servers

1997-10-03 04:37:55
Subject: Re: ADSM with Network Appliance FA Servers
From: Michael Fink <Michael.Fink AT UIBK.AC DOT AT>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 09:37:55 +0100
On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Stiehm, Faye A (SAIC) wrote:

> Is anyone using ADSM to backup FA Servers from Network Appliance.  If
> you are, are you able to exclude the snapshots?
>
> Thanks in advance for any information.

Not exactly what you were asking for, but sharing experience might
not hurt...

We are currently experimenting with sending NetApp dumps into
adsmpipe (rsh netapp dump f.. - | adsmpipe ... ).
No problems so far; the 2 MB/s rate seems to be a limitation of
the dump program.

I might decide to choose this approach for production.

Pros:

1. Snapshots permit end users to recover accidentally deleted files,
  so this part of ADSM functionality is not essential.

2. In a multiprotocol environment, dump is the only way to backup
  all (UNIX and CIFS) file attributes.

Cons:

3. NetApp dump reads backup data from a snapshot. Files that are being
  modified during snapshot processing will be dumped in an inconsistent
  state. I personally prefer ADSM's copy serialization options.

One alternative that we have discussed is to ADSM-backup a uniquely named
snapshot, created by a pre-schedule command. This approach combines the
disadvantages of both above-mentioned methods.

If you use the ADSM B/A client for backup, define .snapshot as a virtual
mount point and exclude it from the backup domain. Otherwise the complete
directory hierarchy under .snapshot will be backed up (which will waste
resources and cause a full restore to fail).

Hope these thoughts are useful.

Sincerely,   Michael Fink

--