ADSM-L

Re: Disaster-Recovery and DSMSERV RESTORE DB

1997-07-14 22:22:43
Subject: Re: Disaster-Recovery and DSMSERV RESTORE DB
From: Laurence Beard <lbeard AT CSCNZ.CO DOT NZ>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 14:22:43 +1200
     To alls

     I have written unix scripts to backup an ORACLE database via 6 GByte
     storage pools -> 2 x 8mmtape(5Gbytes). At the end of the backup I do a

     "update stg backuppool hi=0"

     This causes the data in the storage pool backuppool to be moved from
     disk(storagepool) -> 8mmtapes. This means everything is on tape, such
     that, migration = 0%, and utilization can be > 0%.

     If I were to do the following
     1."backup db type=full..."

     2. Delete everything in that database i.e. delete volumes and "delete
     filespace <CLIENT> *" etc.

     3. Shut down server ,and "dsmserv restore db".

     Could I expect the ADSTAR database to look exactly the same at the
     time of the "backup db type=full..", complete with all volumes and
     storage pools. I am not concerned about the any data in the storage
     pools as I have migrated it out to tape.

     This is how I am trying to implement my Disaster-Recovery, rather than
     creating a disaster-recovery stgpool as in Chapter 14 of
     Administrator's Guide for ADSTAR and backing up from
     backuppool->disaster-recovery any unmigrated files.

                                Regards
                                Laurence Beard
                                lbeard AT cscnz.co DOT nz
                                Auckland, New Zealand.