ADSM-L

ARCSERVE/ADSM Conflict?

2015-10-04 18:10:54
Subject: ARCSERVE/ADSM Conflict?
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 1/30/97 9:56AM
You didn't say where you were running ARCServe - NetWare or NT....

We did see some performance problems when running ADSM and ARCServe on a
NetWare box.  This was with an earlier version of ARCServe, and apparently
there was a conflict with the DSMC NLM, and the NLMs from ARCServe.  We didn't
recognize the problem for what it was at first, but CPU utilization rose
dramatically on the server - to weel over 80% consistently.  Needless to say,
users started complaining about response time.  We took ARCServe down, and the
problem cleared.  The customer loved ADSM, and so was not put out by not
running ARCServe.  If he needed it, he would temporarily unload DSMC do his
thing, then start it back up.

We have many ARCServe users, but they re generally glad to use ADSM instead.
Since we discovered this problem, ARCServe has had at least one, possibly two
new versions  since then, so the problem may not still be there.  If you need
more specific information, let me know and I will call the customer to find
out what he remebers.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com