ADSM-L

Re: FW: ADSM manuals--another view

1996-04-25 05:16:48
Subject: Re: FW: ADSM manuals--another view
From: Ole Holm Nielsen <ohnielse AT FYSIK.DTU DOT DK>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 10:16:48 MET
A comment on this opinion on ADSM documentation:

> From: "Pittson, Timothy" <tpittson AT HIMAIL.HCC DOT COM>
>
> I agree with Robert... while the ADSM documentation is far from perfect,
> it's much better than what I've seen for other products. Some room for
> improvement but, all in all, it's not that bad.

This is obviously the viewpoint of an experienced ADSM user.  When you
basically know how everything in ADSM works, the reference manual is
pretty reasonable.

However, this doesn't alleviate the problem of an unbelievably bad ADSM
server installation and configuration manual.  As I said before in this
forum, this aspect is a major hurdle for any new customer who would
like to set up ADSM.

Soothing comments about the documentation being "not that bad" just
doesn't help any:  I think that IBM will have a real problem getting the
ADSM product accepted by new customers, as a number of postings to this
group by (relatively new ?) ADSM customers have indicated.

Until IBM realizes this documentation shortcoming, I predict that ADSM
will be a niche product used mainly by old IBM customers and large
data-processing installations.  That is too bad, because I happen to
like very much ADSM V2.1 on our UNIX boxes, it's an excellent backup
product (however, we needed a guru from IBM to set up the server for
us).  ADSM deserves a wider audience, IMHO.

Andy Raibeck <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM> suggested sending comments to
starpubs AT sjsvm28.vnet.ibm DOT com.  I don't really feel like fighting
this game.  How about Andy forwarding some of the serious concerns
from this list to the ADSM marketing people in stead ?

Best regards,
Ole H. Nielsen
Physics Dept.
Technical University of Denmark

% Ole Holm Nielsen
% UNI-C, Building 304
% Technical University of Denmark, DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark
% E-mail: Ole.H.Nielsen AT uni-c DOT dk or Ole.H.Nielsen AT fysik.dtu DOT dk
% WWW URL: http://www.fysik.dtu.dk/persons/ohnielse.html
% Telephone: (+45) 35 87 89 65