ADSM-L

Re: FW: ADSM manuals--another view

1996-04-25 10:42:00
Subject: Re: FW: ADSM manuals--another view
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 10:42:00 EDT
Text item: Body.822
I find myself agreeing with everyone in this debate!  I run an MVS server
and have only seen the MVS manuals.  I like them because they look just
like all the other manuals I have used over the years.  I can see where
different platform people will disagree about ADSM's complexity -- I have
found it to be much less complex than other things I work with like
DFSMShsm.  If IBM just "ported" the manuals from MVS and VM over to the
other platforms (MVS/VM were the first ADSM servers), then they won't be
suitable for the usual style of OS/2 or Sun, etc.

If IBM is listening to all this and taking it seriously, and I assume they
are, I would like to suggest that they make a great leap forward and get
away from mauals as the primary document tool.  I have downloaded the free
os/2 web server and am very impressed with the it.  You can view all the
documentation as HTML, with links and the whole 9 yards.  Also you can
administer the startup parameters via HTML pages which have the whole
documentation for the individual item with the change field embedded in the
page.

I suggest that you build an install/getting started HTML based dialog
modelled on the IBM webservers.  You could include step by step pages for
different usage scenarios and platforms with each step linking to a page wh
ich has full documentation and a changeable field.