ADSM-L

Re: New Features wanted...

1995-08-30 17:56:06
Subject: Re: New Features wanted...
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 17:56:06 EDT
Hamish sent this reply to me, but I think it is of general interest.
I hope you don't mind, Hamish!        ..Paul
On Thu, 31 Aug 1995 09:28:12 +1200 you said:
On Thu, 31 Aug 1995 09:28:12 +1200 you said:
>I meant when they come to do a full restore, instead of files being scatterd
> over 5 years of tapes, they
>will only be on the last X days/weeks/months workth of tapes...
>
>Hamish.

Ah, ok.  I mis-understood you.

I just posted a separate suggestion to the list on suggestions for making
collocation a more useable option for large servers.

I would much rather see "collocation" made into a useable option, than to
add a bunch of workarounds.  Here at Cornell, I don't think we can afford
to force periodic full backups of our client systems.  It would simply be
too much of a load on the network.  One of the big selling points of ADSM
to us was that it was not necessary to do periodic full backups, like the
rest of the backup products that we looked at.

Look at it this way.  The ADSM server already has a copy of the data.
There really should be no need to send additional copies of the data
across the network, simply to get the data on the "right set of tapes".
It seems to me that it ought to be possible to have the ADSM server do
this for you, without requiring additional backup copies to be made.

..Paul