ADSM-L

Re: full restore of corrupted machine

1995-04-24 11:20:44
Subject: Re: full restore of corrupted machine
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 1995 11:20:44 EDT
Dennis,

ADSM will not restore your mount points, so you will have to do that
manually.  If you restore as root, ADSM will restore the file ownerships
correctly.  I don't know what kind of problems, if any, you will run into
when restoring ODM files.  I'll be curious to know how your experiment turns
out.  We had to recover a root volume group once using ADSM, only we had to
replace the hard drive that it was on.  Since we knew that the hard drive's
serial number was recorded somewhere in the ODM database, we didn't just
blanket restore everything from ADSM.  I can't describe what exactly we DID
do, but basically we selected which files to restore based on our best
guesses about how AIX works.  We tried not to overwrite any ODM files that
we suspected contained volume group or disk information.  It seems to have
worked.

If you create the boot tape (mksysb) AFTER you have installed ADSM, then
it shouldn't be necessary to re-install ADSM in step 4, as ADSM will get
re-installed along with AIX in step 3.  (I am assuming that you are
referring to a mksysb tape in steps 1 and 3).

Good Luck!

..Paul

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Cornell Information Technologies   Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601