ADSM-L

Named Pipe again

1995-04-13 13:45:00
Subject: Named Pipe again
From: Michel Gaillard <Michel.Gaillard AT ANSF.ALCATEL DOT FR>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 17:45:00 GMT
Hello experts,

Coming back to my question concerning the support of named pipes in ADSM, I
almost made it myself using the API.
The main problem, that I still have, is that I cannot safely predict the size
of the object I'm sending with the dsmSendObj API call..

In the reference document, I can read :

"Try to be as accurate as possible on this size because the ADSM server uses
this attribute for efficient space allocation and object placement
within its storage resources.  Not specifying this value could
result in performance degradation on the server ......"

What kind of performance degradation can I see specifying a constant
sizeEstimate in my call to dsmSendObj ??

Can it result in various failures of the sending process ?

I do not not know precisely the size of the object 'cause the named pipe is
filled up by the feeding process and sucked by my procedure to back it up using
the ADSM API.

Cheers, michel