ADSM-L

ADSM/6000 startup & shutdown at boot time

1995-04-13 13:22:41
Subject: ADSM/6000 startup & shutdown at boot time
From: MJ Lopatin <lopatin AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 10:22:41 PDT
> I've been having trouble getting ADSM/6000 Server and Client Scheduler
> to start automatically at boot time.
>   nohup dsmc schedule > /tmp/dsmc.schedule.out.$YYYY$MN$DD.$HH$MI$SS
> What am I doing wrong ?  Is there a recommended way to do this ?

In our V1R2 UNIX Client book, we suggest using 'nohup' to keep the
scheduler running when you log out of the system.  However, due
to a fix we had to put in for maintenance on V1R2, we now catch SIGHUP,
which makes 'nohup' no longer work on the UNIX clients.

Here's what we said in the UNIX client README files:

STARTING THE SCHEDULER
______________________

In order to do the proper clean up when terminal connection closed, we have
to catch SIGHUP signal. This means dsmc doesn't work with nohup command.
Below is the suggested way to start the scheduler. Assume PASSWORDACCESS is
GENERATE.

1. Automatically start the schdeuler at the system bootup time.
   Add following entry to /etc/inittab.
   a) For AIX:
      adsm::once:/usr/lpp/adsm/bin/dsmc sched > /dev/null 2>&1 # ADSM scheduler
   b) Other UNIX platform:
      adsm::once:/usr/adsm/dsmc sched > /dev/null 2>&1 # ADSM scheduler

2. Interactively start the scheduler.
   Be the super user. Cut and paste following shell script to a file.
------------------------- dsmsched ----------------------------
start_sched()
start_sched()
{
  dsmc sched > /dev/null 2>&1 &
}

trap start_sched 0

exit
   Set execute permission and run it when ever you need to start the scheduler.
   Set execute permission and run it when ever you need to start the scheduler.

                            -- MJ Lopatin
                               ADSM Client Development