ADSM-L

Re: Forcing a backup

1993-09-24 09:50:55
Subject: Re: Forcing a backup
From: Martha McConaghy <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1993 09:50:55 EDT
On Thu, 23 Sep 1993 14:55:15 -0500 Richard A. Schafer said:
>Martha, that shouldn't be an issue.  ADSM will keep the keep the most recent
>copy of the file around indefinitely, I believe.  Even WDSF would do this, and
>ADSM tries to do it even better, I believe.

Yes, I realize this.  His concern is about files that have lived on ADSM for
6, 8 months or a year.  If one or more of them becomes corrupted for some
reason, ie. a bug in ADSM, bad DASD track, etc., we wouldn't
know it.  I have tried to explain that ADSM must have ways of detecting
such problems, but he is very adament about it.  He would like to "refresh"
the older files periodically.  Since I can't guarentee that no file will
ever get corrupted, I don't have much ammunition.

So far, the idea of having two different types of dumps seems to be the best
idea.  We do a similar thing on the mainframe anyway.

Are other people concerned with the lack of disaster recovery support in the
product?  As it stands, there is no way to use ADSM to recover a LAN server
from scratch.  You still have to re-install OS/2 and a communication protocol,
as well as the ADSM client.  That is still a lot of work before even beginning
to restore the rest of the server.  On the mainframe we have a standalone
version of our backup product that allows us to restore even if we have lost
our main operating system.  In my opinion, ADstar should really concentrate
on this weakness in their product.

Martha