You gotta be kidding me!

droach

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Have to admit that the concepts described in the TSM management guides sounded like exactly what I was looking for...Centralized TSM Management from one interface. So, I installed ISC with high hopes of helping me manage my growing TSM environment spread over five domains.

Is this a bad joke IBM is playing on us? I couldn't even get it to change my mountlimit on a devclass from 3 to 4. Watching the activity logs as I attempted to apply the change and all I saw was:
ANR2017I Administrator ADMIN issued command: SELECT LIBRARY_NAME FROM LIBRARIES WHERE LIBRARY_TYPE<>'FILE'
ANR2017I Administrator ADMIN issued command: QUERY DEVCLASS 3592-G2 F=D
Then nothing. No command to attempt to increase the mountlimit, no error messages, and no changes took place. The ISC display flipped back from the 4 I entered to the original setting of 3. I thought maybe there is something else wrong that 'it' knows about so I tried updating the devclass from the command line. No problem, it changed without any issues.

I could go on, but instead of a long-winded rant...my question to the members of this board is:
Does anyone really use the ISC?

Not really, I used ISC to "view" the overall of TSM and to allow analyst users to view TSM environment. I do my TSM management via command line.

Played with it a bit during a class I attended and when it first came out and hated it from day 1. More so once I was told of the resources needed for it to work properly.

It was a pig to use and ugly to look at although it has probably been improved since. Mind you I am a biased command line jockey. I never even embraced the old java gui which to me was a superior if limited interface.

Isc/ac

Well I must tell you that I use the ISC/AC and yes there are a few issues that pop up now and then. Also note that I use the command line as well as it is documented that their are certain things you cannot do from the ISC.
One day it fooled me when I checked the radio button for a management class where I wanted to have Backup Required before Migration for a Space Managed machine. Every time I went back in or refreshed the display the radio button was not checked. However if you checked it from the command line, the change was made it was just not reflected in the GUI.
Is the ISC/AC a joke? Maybe but it can be useful for my customers that are TSM Challenged. Is it BLOATWARE. You bet. Who ever thought you could have a 1 GIG JAVA GUI.
In any case each to their own. Use what works and is easiest to use. Some things are actually easier with the ISC/AC.

I started out with the ISC about 3 years ago when my company switched to TSM from BackupExec. I downloaded a demo of TSMManager after a couple of weeks and i never even thought about the ISC after that. The ISC is a pitiful joke :cool:

I also find the ISC very klutzy a clumsy. Command line all the way for me. I have 12 TSM servers under my control and still find command line the best way to administer my servers. I am trying to get some type of reporting tool for historical data. Aptare Backup Manager or Servergraph are my front runners.

I use it to manage scripts. Thats all. =)

\Masonit

Back