Yet another Volume Shadow Copy Thread

dennis_in_texas

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello TSM Community,

Our location is continuing to have problems with Volume Shadow Copy related backups. The backups start, then hang, never to complete. We have tried everything that Microsoft and IBM have suggested, including the 934016 and 940349 patches from Microsoft, but we are still experiencing Missed and Failed backups every night, nearly all of them due to Volume Shadow Copy issues, even with these patches applied.

Our client versions range from 5.3.x.x to 5.5.0.2, and this problem doesn't seem to care WHAT version of client we are running. This leads me to believe that this is PROBABLY a Microsoft problem, but I could certainly be wrong.

Is this issue just isolated to us? Are there no other, or few other, companies out there going through this? We are experiencing something like a 15% failure rate per night. If anyone has found a fix, other than skipping SYSTEMSTATE backups, that would be GREAT! But I am more interested in knowing if there are more people like us out there going through this nonsense. I would be surprised to hear that we are...

Thank you.

It looks like some of our NIC's may be Broadcom "based", but most are HP branded. So I guess the Chimney issue "may" be blowing smoke up our...you know. 8~)

But, a number of our clients are VM's, and it looks like they are not using Broadcom based NIC's, and at least one that I have checked had the TCP Offload set to Disabled. I will keep looking at each failure individaully, however.

Thanks for the heads up about the Chimney!!

Back