Yet another opt question - Please comment on my opt

coopert

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
My opt file is below. I am trying to create the most efficient backup I can. I want to backup ONLY the E:\home directory, and all .pst files withing that directory be assigned the pstfiles management class.

How did I do?

--------------------

NODENAME SCHQYAFILE01

PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE

SCHEDLOGRETENTION 14
ERRORLOGRETENTION 14

DOMAIN E: -C: -F: -SYSTEMSERVICES -SYSTEMSTATE

TCPSERVERADDRESS xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

EXCLUDE "*:\...\*"
INCLUDE "E:\HOME\*"
INCLUDE E:\HOME\...\*.PST PSTFILES

MANAGEDSERVICES WEBCLIENT SCHEDULE

My opt file is below. I am trying to create the most efficient backup I can. I want to backup ONLY the E:\home directory, and all .pst files withing that directory be assigned the pstfiles management class.

How did I do?

--------------------

NODENAME SCHQYAFILE01

PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE

SCHEDLOGRETENTION 14
ERRORLOGRETENTION 14

Just one modification:

NODENAME SCHQYAFILE01

PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE

SCHEDLOGRETENTION 14
ERRORLOGRETENTION 14

and this looks good.

Bottom up

I thought It read from the bottom up.

Wont it exclude it then move on before getting to the includes?

Now I am confused

One of you says my exclude needs to go at the bottom and the other says the way I had it looked good.

Thanks!!!

No pproblem. I have until 8pm tonight to get it right.

Thank you for all your help. I inherited TSM and I am going to start diving into it more. I think I am using up far too much tape for my data size. PST are a large part of that.

No pproblem. I have until 8pm tonight to get it right.

Thank you for all your help. I inherited TSM and I am going to start diving into it more. I think I am using up far too much tape for my data size. PST are a large part of that.

After using TSM as an Enterprise backup solution, I haven't gone back to any other backup system. This is the backup solution for me.

Give it some time and you will love it.

I hope your initial postings would encourage you to seek the best of what TSM can give.

As for the number of tapes, you may want to look at the number of versions that you really need to keep. Often, keeping more versions is not really called for, and is a waste of resources.

versions

I hear you. I am starting to implement VSS when I can get new servers with enough space (my data is on a SAN).

That will eliviate the number of versions. I also may tweak my mgmt class to only keep 3 version of PST (in case of corruption).

As it is, this class should cut my .PST data in the backup system by 2/3.

Are you excited about version 6? I am looking forward to dedup. Now if only TSM worked with block level backup..then it would rule.

Are you excited about version 6? I am looking forward to dedup. Now if only TSM worked with block level backup..then it would rule.

For slow connections to clients on dialup, etc. Look into TSM's Adaptive Subfile Backup.

It should be:

INCLUDE "E:\HOME\...\*"

Otherwise you will exclude everything in a subdir like E:\HOME\FOO\foo.txt

Back