Windows Server 2003 32bit

adio

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi,

We just experienced a harddrive crash on one of our servers, and offcourse we dont have a snapshot. :(

We want to have a snapshot of C:, so config etc can be restored quickly! Userdata etc on D: can we do with regular file-backup!

How do I set this up? ..and how shall the dsm.opt look like? Is there anything that needs to be done on the server?

This is my dsm.opt now:
-------------------------
PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE
TCPSERVERADDRESS ********
NODENAME *************

MemoryEfficientBackup yes

domain c:
domain d:

Include "c:\...\*"
Include "d:\home\...\*"
------------------------------

If you have a diskpool, move nodedata is your friend.

Otherwise, you might want to generate a backupset, but the generation is notoriously slow and might take as much (or more) time as the restore without the backupset.

I do not understand the meaning of the word snapshot in this context. Image? Backupset? Shadow copy?

You might want to look into the BartPE with TSM client image documents I have seen. Basically you boot BartPE and it has a preconfigured client. You use the client to restore and IMAGE taken of the C: drive (you could do it monthly, weekly). After the restore you can then do a SYSTEM STATE restore. What most people recommend is to keep C: relatively small (we average 4-8GB). We tend to install our large APPs to alternate drives to keep C: easily restoreable.

hi,
i'm happily using CBMR by some customers of mine. It is really affordable (because restoring images really works) and well integrated in TSM environment (because you can manage versions, retention and the like).

cheers
max

Back