Windows can't detect TS 3200 as library ?

hungng89

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Dear all

I am trying to install TSM on windows server 2003 R2 X32

We use one SCSI connection , connect TS 3200 directly to the server.
When i try to install tape driver , the server can only see the drive , not the medium changer.
Without seeing mediumchanger i can't configure library for TSM.

Does any one has any idea on this issue?

Thanks all for your help

Hi, you must use IBMtape device driver for IBM devices. You can obtain one from Fix Central site: http://www-933.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/

Install driver package with "install_exclusive -r" and reboot.

If CPF and/or DPF is not used, disable it with DisableDPF.reg and DisableCPF.reg, from the "reg\" directory within IBMtape root directory. Once installed, verify with tsmdlst.exe. Start a MS-DOS Prompt (Start -> Run -> CMD), then change directories to the location of the TSMDLST.EXE tool (C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\console, C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\server\tsmdiag) and run. You should get list of all devices, including medium changer. If not, verify physical connectivity (eg. cabling, termination etc.) and library logs for any errors.

Rgds, Tom

Hi tkostrevc

I have installed IBM Tape Device Driver for IBM Devices with "install_exclusive -r" and reboot.
I already run CPF and DPF disabled scripts.
But when i try to run TSMDLST to check , it can only see the drive , not the medium changer .
I checked and the cable and the termination are connected properly .

How can i narrow down the issue root cause ? Do i have any option to try ?

Thanks for your great support

Hi,

What SCSI adapter you're using? And what drives are in TS3200?

For example LTO4 supported adapters:

Windows 2003 SP1 and Windows 2003 R2: The TS3100/TS3200 Tape Library with SCSI tape drives can be attached to x86 and ia64 systems supporting Windows 2003 and the following adapters:

Adaptec 2940

Adaptec 29160

Adaptec 39160

Adaptec 39320

Adaptec 29320ALP (IBM 13N2249) SCSI LVD

LSI 22910

Hi

My SCSI Card is Adaptec 29320 LPE - Ultra 320 SCSI.
Does it support with TS 3200 , IBM Tape drive x 86 6215?

Thanks for your great support .

Hi, check also with TS3100 & TS3200 Setup, Operator, and Service Guide (http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=ssg1S7002943) if library configuration is proper. I have seen this also (with TS3100 though) if logical library was not configured so make sure this is done.

Rgds, Tom
Hi tkostrevc
Actually the library is configured and has been used before on system I .So i think the problem may not be because of logical library configuration or library misconfiguration .
Thanks for your great support.

Hi,

Does adapter itself see library in boot?
By default BIOS Multiple LUN Support is disabled. There is a problem, bacause drive is id 0 and library id 1.

So goto to adaptec bios (or with SCSISelect) and enable that.
http://download.adaptec.com/pdfs/installation_guides/scsi_installation_and_user_guide_02_07.pdf

HI

The adapter can't see the library in boot , it can only see the drive .
I have enabled the BIOS Multiple LUN support .
But afterall it still can't display the medium changer driver

Thanks and Best Regards.

Hi,

If library have been in different system, perhaps reset to default values is recommended.
One setting with Adaptec, that i have seen helping is to drop down scsi speed from 320 to 160.

Hi,
did you manage to settle this problem and if yes - how?
I'm facing it as well with same hardware (TS3200 with 2 LTO3 and Win2003 Server with IBM ADP SCSI U320 controller). And unfortunately changing scsi speed and multiple LUN support didn't help.

Greetings

s.d.

Dear rznadmin

Please set your library mode from sequential to random, and give me your feed back.

Thanks and Best Regards

Hi hungng89,

thanks for your quick reply.

My library mode was set to "random".

s.d.

Hi again,
to be more precise: I didn't change the library mode as it was already set to "random".
Was your problem solved after switching from "sequential" to "random" ?

gretings

s.d.

Hi again,
to be more precise: I didn't change the library mode as it was already set to "random".
Was your problem solved after switching from "sequential" to "random" ?

gretings

s.d.

Yes my issue is solved by change sequential mode to random mode and reboot the tape library and reinstall IBM tape drive.
Before i do it , it only show me 1 tape drive.
After do it , it show a medium changer

Thanks and Best Regards

well than I'll have, unfortunately, look a bit further to solve my issue.
thank you for your assistance.

s.d.

did you check the transport at the back of the library? if this is installed, the library can not be detected.

Back