Windows 2008 R2 64bit - SidebySide Event ID 63

MartINC

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon!

We are having some errors in the Windows Event logs related with 'unpack.dll' / 'unpack200.exe' located in the TSM installation folder on every of our Windows 2008 R2 Servers (64bit) , TSM BA Client 6.2.1.1 64bit.

SideBySide Event ID 63
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\jvm60\jre\bin\unpack.dll".
Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\jvm60\jre\bin\unpack.dll" on line 19.
The value "6.0.0.6u9b41" of attribute "version" in element "assemblyIdentity" is invalid.

SideBySide Event ID 63
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\jvm60\jre\bin\unpack200.exe".
Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\jvm60\jre\bin\unpack200.exe" on line 19.
The value "6.0.0.6u9b41" of attribute "version" in element "assemblyIdentity" is invalid.

Always happening at 00:30. No issue related with that error message but we are trying to figure out where it is coming from and how can we clear this error message.
Any ideas ?

Last edited:
SidebySide Event ID 63

We are seeing the exact same error on the exact same O/S, at the exact same time. However backups seem to be running fine. But would still be nice to see a fix for this.

I opened a PMR to IBM and they forwarded us to Microsoft. Our Windows System Admin will have to deal with it ;

Microsoft should be able to help you eliminate these errors, as they do not
come from TSM.

Applying the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package did not correct the error message.. :S

Hello MartINC
I know that you are running a windows 2008 application but the error described is related to the development tool used to build the application hence you need the 2005 redistributable. Sorry for not beeing clear enough.
The download you need is:Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package.

Also I can not say that this will relive your problem but it is worth a test. Did you get any feedback from Microsoft?

What Part of the error...

What part of the error tells whether I need to use the 2005 or 2008 MS C++ pack?

Nothing in the error but in the links I referred to :)
(And the fact the applying the 2008 redist... did not work)

Have you opened a case with MS?

Good Luck.

any luck with this? I am testing this on my workstation (i duplictated sidebyside errors on windows 7 x64), and installed the reditributables without success. In fact, I downloaded and installed the 2005 and 2010 x64 distributables. I just noticed that I do not have the 2008 x64 version in stalled but I have my doubts that this one will actually work.

hi Rhuobhe.
can you tell me how you duplicate this error? I would be great to know.
/thank you

All I did was install the 6.2 client and they began to appear

lol :D
Ok, this system was it a pristine install,did you have other MS products installed (beside windows I mean)?

just office, .net framework, office communicator and exchange 07.

I also noticed that another 64bit workstation has sidebyside event log entries but were not related to the baclient, would it be safe to say that the redistributable fix would have also dealt with that and any sidebyside as well?

Yes, as this problem is not unique to TSM. I have not seen this on TSM myself. :p

Any updates on this? I am having the exact same issue. I installed v6.2.1.3 of the TSM client and now the server is experiencing these errors.

ignore it. I opened PMR with IBM. They do not have a solution and the error has can be safely ignored.

[FONT=&quot]http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?crawler=1&uid=swg1IC70834

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ERROR DESCRIPTION:
When starting the Tivoli Storage Manager Client GUI the following error messages are written to the Windows eventlogs: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

Error
30.08.2010 10:30:05
SideBySide
None
"Activation context generation failed for ""C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\jvm60\jre\bin\unpack.dll"".
Error in manifest or policy file ""C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\jvm60\jre\bin\unpack.dll"" on line 19.
The value ""6.0.0.6u9b41"" of attribute ""version"" in element ""assemblyIdentity"" is invalid."

These error messages are issued by the IBM Java Runtime Engine 1.6 which is shipped with the version 6.2 backup-archive client. The messages can be ignored since they do not affect the operation of the backup-archive client. Client versions below 6.2 ship with an earlier Java Runtime Engine which does not exhibit this problem.

Platforms and versions affected:
Tivoli Storage Manager backup-archive client 6.2 on Windows

Initial Impact:
Low

Additional Keywords:
zz62 eventlog evtx evt java jre jvm side-by-side

LOCAL FIX:
None. However you can safely ignore the error messages in the
Windows event logs.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]