Windows 2003 backup, missing system files [ntldr, boot.ini, etc.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tried an incremental backup of your systemstate; then re-run the query to see if the boot files have been picked up this time?

After that, I'd have to give it some serious thought.

Incremental backup of server (including systemstate) is performed every night, so I can already tell that it doesn't help.
Of course if needed I may perform it again, but will it be any different than everynight incremental backup?

One other thing you can try is to add the following lines to your dsm.opt (Don't forget to remove them after your test!).

TRACEFLAGS EXCLUDECACHE
TESTFLAG SHOWEXCLUDECACHE
TRACEFILE C:\dsmc.log

Then run the dsmc command

dsmc s c:\ntldr

And post the trace log C:\dsmc.log if possible.

Last edited:
Here is the dsmclog.txt from that try

Attachments

• dsmclog.txt
    14.5 KB · Views: 2
I'd expect to see something like

AddFileToLinkedList(): Entry
Path = C:
Filespec = ntldr
Recursive = false
Alt location = NULL

But there is no entry at all for ntldr in your log file.I don't suppose you had a chance to run sfc?It really does look like a Microsoft/VSS issue.

Indeed I didn't have a chance to do sfc.exe yet, as i posted - this server runs 24/7/365 and i presume that if sfc.exe find some integrity issue and switch the system files i would have to restart that machine. It's very problematic, however i've asked server team about possible maintenance window for that server but they haven't respond yet.

Could it be related to this apar?
maybe the solution to the problem where a missing file in the system state backup caused the backup to fail, now causes TSm not to report a error when it fails to backup or find a file?

IC65828 ENHANCE SYSTEM STATE BACKUP SO THAT IT CAN SKIP FILES ENUMERATED BY THE SYSTEM WRITER THAT DO NOT ACTUALLY EXIST ON THE SYSTEM

@Hogmaster:

Thank you for your suggestion, however according to this apar and my client version i have a default SKIPMISSINGSYSWFILES set to YES (and I've even tried this explicitly in dsm.opt) and then if some systemfiles would be missing they should be skipped and the return code should be 8, but for me it's 0:

For each skipped file, a message will be issued indicating that
the file was skipped. The return code from dsmc.exe and for
scheduled backup operations will be 8.
I don't get any message about those files, and I know for sure that there are existing system files on my disk that are not being backed up.

Local fix

[...]

- Create a "dummy" of the missing file (the content is unimportant), then try the system state backup operation again.

For example i have file C:\ntldr on my disk, but it is not being backed up and according to above quote it should be.

I don't believe this apar would be the issue in my case, but still many thanks to you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
A quick sanity check has shown that there are some Microsoft hotfixes missing on this system, which are related to systemstate backup. After server team will manage to install them I will provide some more feedback if this solved the issue.

It's been some time but unfortunatelly I couldn't do anything to make things faster.

The problem has been solved, it appeared that the issue was missing hotfixes (KB934016 and KB940349) and corrupted system files. After installation of the hotfixes and reapairing system with sfc /scannow system was succesfully restored.

I wanted to thank everyone who have contributed to this thread in any way and special thanks goes to SpecialK :) - thank you for your time and help you have provided - I really appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back