Win2003 ASR restore

Frank D. S

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hey..

I have been trying to restore a server using ASR restore...

made the ASR floppy
made the TSMCLI CD

booted the OS CD... loaded ASR floppy.. loaded TSMCLI.. when the system reboots to begin the restore.. og get this error...

1: the error
2: When i pust ok to 1 i get error to.. and reboot back to error 1

223719ffa18c7c0b499239188e68d135.jpg

Setup info:
TSM server 5.4.00
TSM Backup Client 5.5.0.0
TSM CLI Client 5.5.0.0
Client OS win2003 SP2
Boot CD win2003 with slipstreamed SP2

Client memory 1GB

Tryed restore to vmware client with 1GB ram and one with 2.8GB ram
Tryed restore to identical hardware box as original client.

Please search the forum for similar postings.

Basically, you will find out that ASR BMR seldomly works....

Sorry if this is not what you were looking for.

I have done this so many times and the ASR procedure simply does not work most of the time even for identical hardware.

What I end up doing is to install a base OS on an alternate location, load the TSM client, restore the old Windows directory plus the registry and SYSTEM files, edit the boot.ini to see the old directory and reboot.

Sorry if this is not what you were looking for.

I have done this so many times and the ASR procedure simply does not work most of the time even for identical hardware.

What I end up doing is to install a base OS on an alternate location, load the TSM client, restore the old Windows directory plus the registry and SYSTEM files, edit the boot.ini to see the old directory and reboot.

i will try this solution..

I use a similar process to what moon-buddy describes to recover W2K3 machines. I stage a new box, or the same box (repaired), with a base OS and name it as the machine to recover, install the TSM client, then restore over the top using these commands:
dsmc restore c:\* -sub=yes -rep=all
dsmc restore systemstate
dsmc restore systemservices
Don't reboot until you execute all three commands. If you need to restore additional drives repeat the first command for each aditional drive.
This has worked for me with only one problem...the existing user profiles are a little whacked (can't make My Computer icon show on the desktop, Control Panel only opens in Catagory View, etc.). I have to delete the profiles and let Windows recreate them.

Hey..

I have been trying to restore a server using ASR restore...

made the ASR floppy
made the TSMCLI CD

booted the OS CD... loaded ASR floppy.. loaded TSMCLI.. when the system reboots to begin the restore.. og get this error...

1: the error
2: When i pust ok to 1 i get error to.. and reboot back to error 1

I went all around the block with this too, but now I have it working nicely. You've got the drivers slipstreamed into the Windows CD which is a huge win in this. The problem is SP2. Create the CD again but use SP1. If the data backed up is SP2 that doesn't matter. What you're looking to get is contact with the TSM server and begin to pull files. Regardless of your CD, those files are going to overwrite once your restore is running.

Check post #4 here, this is what turned me to SP1 and it worked great. SP2 is likely causing your issue.
http://adsm.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6994

Last edited:
Back