Will changing the Retention extra affect the previous backed up data?

akilap

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
HI ..
Wishes.. I have four TSM nodes registered to my TSM server with the RetExtra=30 and Retonly=60 .. Backup got finished successfully till 14 th July 08 for all those ..And on 15 th july 08, customer have asked to set non expiration for the data backed up as on Jul 11 -08 ...such tht the data backed up as on 11 th July 08 wont get expired ever ..
SO i have set Retextra=nolimit and Retonly=nolimit with a new mgmtclass defined....
My doubt is since i have set those parameters (on 14 th july) to nolimit after jul 11 th's backup.. will this take effect for tht old data ( jul 11 ).. or it wil take effect for the data tht were backing up after 14 th july..

Thanks for your reply.. Both Verexists and verdeleted were set to nolimit..
And also suggest .. how can i keep the data as of on 11 th jul as unexpired..

Not all the four parameters i have set to no limit.. only ver exists and ver deleted to no limit and.. the remaining retextra and retonly to 30 and 60 resp.. which was my old setting..
and since thy customre have asked for non expiration of 11 jul data forever.. i have set retextra and ret only also to nolimit with a new mgmt class,,
and i want to keep the data as of 11 jul alone.. as never expired ..

Last edited:
yes.. til 14 th july old mgmt class was used.. and from 14 th defined the new mgmt .. the customer need the backup as of on 11 th july.. :(
and we are running.. tsm 5.4 ..
not sure about trying the backpset.. since we came to know about this customer requirement by 14 th only...
Any other option that would help? such tht the data as of 11 jul need to be kept as unexpired..? :(

Short of renaming this node and recreating it again under its normal name, you can't continue operations on that node while sequestering the as-of 11Jul in normal backup.
If they just need to be able to access the data as of 11Jul, and don't mind possibly having to do it in a slightly different way, you could generate a backupset with a 11Jul PITDate. That would be a single object, with whatever retention you define for it. Generate a TOC for it too and they'll find it even easier to use than a normal backup object. You could even just give the customer the tape, if you make it as a tape.

yeah.. thanks for your efforts.. trying wiht the PITD in generate backupset option..

Back