Why use the CAD?

manofmilk

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have inherited a number of new TSM nodes following a merger. They all have 3 TSM schedulers installed - (daily, weekly and monthly). The daily scheduler is always controlled by the CAD while the weekly and monthly schedulers run on their own. I spoke to their backup guy and he just said "it was like that when I started and so I just copied the standard". Is there any benefit to having the CAD control a scheduler and why might they have done it only for 1 out of the 3 schedulers?

what the CAD does is actually start scheduler services as necessary. the CAD allows for scheduler services to not be running in the background at all times. the CAD prevents issues where the scheduler services can use up chunks of memory for backups and not release it.

Ok so my next questions is this: what is the logic behind having one scheduler controlled by the CAD and the other two running idependantly? Would it be better to have had them all be CAD controlled or not bother with the CAD at all?

There's pros and cons in using CAD.
Pro: Having CAD controlling all scheduled jobs will leave you with only one active process most of the day, CAD spawns of a sched process as needed.
Con: Often CAD hangs and no scheduled jobs run.
Con2: if the system have more than one client (ie one BA client and one TDP) , CAD can't be used.

I'ts all up to you which method to use. I usually use CAD.

HTH
/HE

there is no benefit having it set up that way, you ought to have the CAD handle those other two schedules as well. from a functionality standpoint, it is will likely be transparent.

as to the reasons why this was done... i can only assume that it was set up by someone who was not too well versed in tsm...

Back