Why/How do tapes become marked unavailable? (not how to return them to RW status)

wirb

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Greetings, all,

I'm new to TSM. We're running 5.2.2 on Win2K using a 3583 library with 2 drives.

This is question is for my own information. I haven't been able to find it in any field guides nor has it turned up in searches on IBM's Tivoli-specific Web pages.

Why and how do tapes become marked unavailable? I know how to return them to R/W status, although it can be a pain to track down the specific volume coz I don't have all the command line syntax available, so I have to go via the Web admin GUI and look in the sequential storage. And this brings up a number of related questions:

Is there a way to configure TSM to send an alert when this happens, so a) I don't have to wade through the way-too-thorough log to find it and b) avoid getting "volume <volnam> is unavailable" messages when TSM tries to do a reclaimation or other process on that volume?

Is there a command-line command to track down the volume marked unavailable so I don't have to drill down through the GUI?

Is there a way to configure the log so it doesn't register EVERY TIME I open a GUI session, or make a change to a scheduled command (I've had to do a lot of adjusting of start and stop times), or register every time I issue a query or script from the command line?

My thanks to any who can answer.

There are several reasons why tapes leave the read-write status. The most common (at my site anyway) is a library issue. We have a shared 3494 tape library. If all the drives are in use and a lib-client asks for a tape to be mounted, the lib-master has to wait until a drive frees up. If the mount-wait is set lower then it takes to mount that tape then the lib-client will mark the tape unavailable.

A tape can go to unavailable when the library has an issue and doesn't put the tape away correctly or can't mount it correctly.

The easiest way to find a tape thats in unavailable status: q vol "*" access=unavailable

The easiest way to move it back to read-write: update vol "*" access=readwrite whereaccess=unavailable

You can also do it based on stgpool by adding a "wherestgpool=<name>" to the second command.

-Aaron

Aaron, thanks, this explanation fits perfectly.

As to wading through the log, guess I'll just have to re-visit Perl (it's been years) and work up some scrpts to process it for what I want. Anyone out there done something similar so I don't have to re-invent the wheel?

Oh, and now working my way through the TSM Administrator's Rreference for command-line syntax. javascript: x()

javascript: x()

Back