Which client version with 5.4 server?

manofmilk

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi all,

We have successfully upgraded our TSM server to 5.4.3.0 and now need to upgrade our clients. The vast majority are Windows Server 2003, 32 bit. The question is should we bring the clients up to 5.4.2.X or to 5.5.0.X? For maximum compatibility I am assuming that we should bring the clients to 5.4 levels but is there any harm in looking to the future a little and going up to 5.5? Most of our existing clients are 5.3.3.0, with a few 5.4.1.2s

Cheers.

Last edited:
Rule of thumb: when touching the clients anyway, proceed directly to the latest available level you care to trust. There are no compatibility issues other than certain client functions that may not work because a backlevel server does not support them. We've been going straight to 5.5 for months now, although most of the servers are still on 5.4

PJ

As the Rule either Server or Client Versions must be +-1 for attaining the Best performance, you can go to 5.5 client directly. One thing to remember is that in future upgradations to 5.6 and above the minimum version must be 5.5.

you cannot upgrade from 5.4 to 5.6. So its upto you to decide with future considerations.

I did answer that one. Have you checked it out yet? Anyway. Testing a new software version before putting it into production should be mandatory. Unfortunately it won't really help if your clients are all differently set up, have different patch levels etc. We're trying to keep ours as uniform as possible - especially Windows and Linux - but there's always something unexpected we didn't account for. That's why I still sit in this crammed office drinking coffee rather than by the pool bar having a martini and waiting for the occasional all-clear from a perfect does-everything script ;)

PJ

Martinis by the pool!?

but there's always something unexpected we didn't account for. That's why I still sit in this crammed office drinking coffee rather than by the pool bar having a martini and waiting for the occasional all-clear from a perfect does-everything script ;)

PJ

Now theres a classy guy; i'm happy with a cold beer and a bowl of cheesy-chips in the pub garden!

I'm using this rollout as my oppotunity to get all our clients to the same standard of setup, for all aspects of TSM. I just wish it was simple as a 'next, next, next, finish' install!

Back