which client version for w2k8

wesd

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi,

My tsm server is 5.4.1.0 and sits on a unix box (aix). The current windows backups are of boxes running server 2000 and 2003 with a mixture of 5.2.3 and 5.4.1 clients.

I've now been asked to back up two server 2008 boxes - is the 5.4.1 client suitable for these or, if not, can you suggest which client level I should install?

Thanks.

2008 server is supported by 5.5.1 and higher. However, if you are referring to 2008 server R2 64bit it will not be supported until the beginning of November according to an IBM Tivoli support technician I talked to on Wednesday. this is purely at the decretion of the engineers and programmers. I have had success with backing up 2008 R2 64 bit using client version 6.1.0.2 but we are not able to backup the system state. I believe there are several TSM admins having issues with 2008 R2 64 & 32bit versions. Hopefully it won't be too long before we have a working version.

Thanks for that, fuzzballer; the servers are both running SP1 so I'll install a 5.5 client.
I don't need to backup system state; the servers are managed by a 3rd party who intend to run an sql backup to disk - all they want me to do is get their backup file unto tape.

Back