Whats the best TSM reporting tool?

hellow123

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi
We have globally 20 TSM instances spreaded across all over the world.We are evaluating serveral reporting tools. Just had a demo from brocade TRT which is used by their implenation team. It has several useful features but its still raw.
I thought its the best place to ask TSM gurus

Please share your experiences with reporting tools WysDM, Servergraph,EMC backup advisor etc...

I want feature which should help me in load balancing,error reporting, performance, data mining for historical reports, alert etc...

Thanks
Raghu

hellow123, Take a look at WysDM. At least two years ahead of any other DPM solution. By the way, EMC Backup Advisor is an OEM version of WysDM.

Thanks
Caicos

TSMManager here too. It has some great ready to go reporting as well as the possibility to customize your own.
It also simplifies the management (IMO) and also gives you a 'dashboard' view of what's going on almost live...Practical if you have night operators and the such.
You can configure some monitoring as well up to a certain point (i personnaly use scripts to do most of the work)

Bocada Backup Reporter

We have 17 Large TSM servers with over 4000 clients. Our total storage in TSM is over 700 Terrabytes. We have 4 TSM administrators maintaining these servers. We do BMR of Window Servers every week. The Bocada reporting tool has been a definite time savings. We rely heavily on it for auditing purpose and trouble shooting. Later verisons of the product have now let us be proactive as opposed to reactive in our organization.

Bocada support has been great. If I've needed a special customized report written for me, they have helped. Bocada has saved us many times by letting me know when servers were removed from schedules, performance tuning, easy to read reports for the auditors.

I would highly recommend this for any shop using TSM. Its a great help for seasoned as well as novice TSM Administators.

Carol Nunamaker
SR TSM ADMINSTRATOR

I audited a real nice product last year but my old company was too cheap to buy it. It's BackupProfiler from Tek-tools. Easy to setup and lots of good features to troubleshoot and create historical data graphs.

Last edited:
Call me behind the times or the unlucky one who has supported accounts that have not used TSM Manager - but I need to see this - who can send me a Users or Sys Admin manual.

Call me behind the times or the unlucky one who has supported accounts that have not used TSM Manager - but I need to see this - who can send me a Users or Sys Admin manual.

The manual is located here http://www.tsmmanager.com/download/manual.pdf
Personally it was an average read. We are about to install it at work, but to be honest I much prefer custom monitoring scripts. I like the complete flexibility that it brings.

If a manager came to me and asked if I wanted a scheduling product (ie ControlM) or a reporting tool such as TSM Manager, I would not hesitate to pick controlM.

I have put custom reporting scripts on a number of servers to monitor absolutely everything about the environment you would want to know and given the option would prefer to keep doing it that way.

I have tested Bocada, used EBA (WysDM) & ServerGraph with TSM and would recommend ServerGraph. EBA has lots of problems when it comes to reporting on the various parts of the TSM environment. Cool graphs - but the data, when it can be found, needs to be audited for accuracy.

Look at ServerGraph if you are monitoring TSM. Especially if you are monitoring a large number of TSM servers. The product is well implemented, reports quickly, and audits have show the data to be correct.

I'm with mateinone. If you have the skills to write your own ... you can do everything you want, exactly the way you want it. I manage 50+ tsm servers with an internal reporting tool. For example, with the click of a button I can graph how many files have been backed up each night for the last 3.5 years - and this a sum of all the 50 tsm servers across the whole country, not just a single tsm server...

Having said that, if you don't have the programming skills, or at least don't have the time or inclination to write your own ... then a commercial product is the answer...

Tsm Manager

although it is heavy and not really close to real time stats but it is quiet powerful in almost every aspect of it's work whether it is report's remote managment cpacity planning load assesment or all the rest it's just fully proffesional

Hi, yes TSM Manager is very good, but I am still looking for a system that takes it's data source directly from the TSM clients as I feel this is the best place to start backup monitoring.

Myles
If you are set on monitoring from the clients probably the two best options i can think of are ..

Option One... Command Routing.

If all servers are unix use cssh or dsh or an equivalent to execute a script on each server and generate a report with the output. If windows i do not know the equivalent but I know there is tools to do this. I know you can perform these tasks with cygwin, but I hardly think it would be appropriate to install windows on each client.

Option Two... Run Commands locally on client and send the output.

You could schedule a job to interrogate the dsmsched.log on each server and ftp the output to a central server. If the central server was unix it is good because you can set a NULL shell which allows for an "ftp only" account. This is usually enough to allow an accounts password to be included in batch files at companies and passes most audits as there is no way to log into servers with such an account. The upside is that all jobs can run concurrently across a massive environment, the downside is that even after this data is sent to a central server you need more processing on that end to format the file, so you have a lot of scripts out in the environment.

Option Three... Shared Filesystems.

Through setting up windows shares on each client and having the dsmsched in that directory and through utilizing SAMBA you could present all files to a central host.. You could then batch mount each share interrogate the data and unmount the share. About the only plus to this is that it is possible, the downside is that it is a stupid option. Too many areas for it too break, is limited to windows filesystems etc. Obviously I would steer clear of this option.

Option Four... Send schedlog directly to a report server.

Leave the processing to all be done on a central server. Simply setup an ftp (or even better an scp) batch command and schedule through your scheduling tool ie.. cron/windows scheduler/proprietary tool like ContolM. This allows for a single job on the server that gathers all files withing a "create time window"

I would prefer option one, it has a cleanness that i like, it allows concurrent scripting without being too messy as the jobs are all activated from a central host. If things are broken there is a constant first port of call. However if this is not possible for any reason then option 4 would be my next point of call. Again the centralization is a key. Rather than having to write multiple text manipulation scripts, you are writing simple file send scripts. This is considerably less likely to break.

There are options to use postschedule commands as well. I am not sure why the client side information is the information you feel you need to have, but as you can see here are a number of options and they just touch the surface. Some are good options (and secure) others are terrible, but they are options.

Hi There

You could also try APTARE.

They provide you with beautiful graphs, etc.
Rouen

Back