What to study to get TSM Certified?

LED888

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
Website
http
I would like to be TSM certified, but I do not know which red book(s) to study?

What did you study to pass the certification?

What is the passing score?

:confused:

Thanks,

Sias

Redbooks are not sufficent for good training.

You'd better get the Admin training and have some time to practice.

After that the Admin Book will be sufficent.

Good luck and welcome in TSM world.

Your right that Redbooks are not sufficent for good training.

The Redbook(s) is a good reference guide. :rolleyes: Well, to a certian point.

I know I am scratching the surface right now with TSM.

Hi All,

recently i have join this forum, its really very intresting to share our experience.
i have a querry as i am new to the IBM-TSM, however i am reading Red Books & Other stuff. but still looking for any Interactive Training material for the sake of learning or kind of Demos/Presentation Learning.

Thanks & Best Regards,
itsiraj

the best way is just trying it for couple of months , then read the dump's on alpos.net.

I read TSM Concepts and TSM Certification Study Guide. Also I got TSM Implementation and DR training. Started with the red books after 2 months of using TSM and after other 3 months I was certified (Implementation). They're changing the passing score in time. Check IBM site for current requirements.

75% is the required passing score to certify TSM version 5.3. There will be approximately 57 questions, that means you need to have at least 43 correct answers.

Besides TSM backup methodologies, also requires Basic Operating System/networking/Storage Device (Disk, tape, Optical, NAS)/Hardware Methodologies.

What is good training then?

I haven't found anything that is really good in the way of training for the cert. My strategy is read the Redbooks while sitting at a open terminal of my test TSM server, trying stuff I haven't done before as I read through it.

I have about 8 months TSM experience at this point. Is this a good passing strategy? Just try to learn as much about the queries I seldom use and installation and upgrade best practices?

OK two things:
I take it all in this thread is seeing TSM for the first time. Here is the recommended solution for you.
Get your employer to send you to formal training or sponsor a ELearning session. Hands on experience is the solid exposure to successful learning. If you can apply what you have learned or read via the Redbooks without hesitation or errors - then you are well on your way.
If you want quick ways to pass a test - there is no quick way without a bit of investment on your part.
You can also visit Testking.com - invest in the $70 or so in price - and then go take the exam.
Practice - Practice - Practice - become Fluent - then take the exam. Why waste the $150 on guessing. If you guess in front of your production servers - you're prone for disaster.

Why the desire to become certified?? Is it a employment thing, or a educational goal? Because frankly - that peice of paper is rarely recognized.

Certified doesn't mean qualified, and no peice of paper will ever encompass what you truely know about a product or process.

@timgren:

That is true, but certification provides a baseline of knowledge that will prove "some" level of proficiency.

I have about 3 yrs tsm experience setups/migrations etc and still don't know all, so to better my standing of the product and for better job opportunities certification is a good start. Certification + experience = success.

Hi,
This alpos.net is paid site. Any free site for dumps???

Having now done the beginner and advanced course, I'd like to do the admin certification, just to show a potential future employee that I didn't just sit there bored during the two courses :)

I am selling some certification materials.
I also know a guy on the boards here that took the classes last month and then was laid off from work so I am sure he would sell all his training materials.
Hit me up with a PM and I can see if I have something to assist.

Where did you get test TSM software from? What version? Are there any evaluation versions out there to study from for the cert?

Back