VTL Implementation

Hema

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Dear Folks

Can somebody give me an overview of VTL implementation, we have the backend storage of DS5300 allocated.? I want to grab an idea of how the vtl will be implemented.

Regards,
Hema

Maybe a little late :)
Just treat the VTL as a normal library, creat many drives (24 is a good start). Use it for slow storage agents
If you can do single instansing or compression do not put compressed data on the VTL.

On the stg pool use collocation node, and experiment with you reclamation threshold as this can messup some
VTLs deduplication. ALso make sure that you relabel the volumes when they are reclaimed/returned to scratch,
this is also dependent on the VTL.

Thanks for the valuable information.

Could you also share the documentation/procedure if there are any...

It is vendor specifik. If you plan on using ibm tape drives (physical) the use lto in you r VTL as well, the you can use one type of device driver.
A note of caution, some VTLs does not respond correct when they emulate IBM libraries with control path failover and datapath failover.
So in order to u se these emuldation modes you must disable dpf and cpf (it in the ibmtape documntation).
What VTL are you planning yo use?

the background storage would be ds5300

the background storage would be ds5300

The storage array used is in many cases not particularly relevant with a VTL - all of that storage is masked behind the VTL appliance (i.e. not visible). You typically have a black box fronting that data store, acting as a target for your LAN-Free and TSM instances, and acting as an initiator with respect to its storage.

That having been said - you often tend to buy the frontend and the storage in a single configuration unit...

yep..its a single unit storage of ds5300

what does protectier mean? sorry i don't have any clue

Hello Hema.

Coul it be some confusion here?
Are you planning to stor TSM data on the DS5300? This would be a very good solution, but it is not a VTL (as far as I know). To add external storage
to a TSM server is not to add a VTL, it is far better :).
A VTL is a emulated Tape library and tapestations.
You cold create 2 stgpools on the disksystem one is a stgpool with devtype disk large enoug to hold 24hrs of backup data, do deduplicatin here as well.
then the next stg pool also on the ds5300 will be of devtype file and collocation=node and dedup turned on. Then migrate this data to your physical library.
HAve a copy stg pool in your lib for all your primary pools on disk
/My 2 Cents

Yes.the plan is to store tsm data on ds5300.Plan is to move the existing storage from TSM server/library to VTL

IBM VTL (Protectier) is Appliance( Server 3958m2 + Backend Storage(DS4700 - DS8800))
It's not only software.

Last edited:
Back