volhist records - Waiting for volume

s_abrey

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi All,

I have a volume mounted in our 3592 drive which is been request by a migration with a "waiting for mount of output volume" message. I have checked the volhist and found that the volume was last used on the 27/04/2006. Now, is the volhist update once a transaction is completed or everytime the volume is mounted?

I have noticed that this morning a backup was in progress when the maintenance script kicked off which canceled the backup from a slow link. I believe what has happened is that the tape was mounted (part of a collocation group) but due to the maintenance script wanting to do a DB backup left this tape in a state of limbo of sorts.

I am running 5.3.2.2 server with 5.3 clients.

I have cancelled all active sessions who where all part of slow network links but I cannot release the mount status of the volume in the drive.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steven Abrey :confused:

Steven,

The volhist file is good to show when a volume changes status (scratch, db backup, copypool, etc) but doesn't show regular access. If you query the volume with format=detailed, you'll see the last time it was written to, read, number of times mounted and last updated.

Sometimes, if TSM is in the middle of a process that uses a volume and you kill off that process, it doesn't free the lock on the volume. This doesn't happen as much as it used to (pre TSM 4.1 days) Have you queried all your processes to make sure one of those isn't using the volume? Have you queried all the sessions? If you are sure that no processes or sessions are using the volume, wait the mount retention period for that devclass and see if it will dismount. If it wont, you may have to bounce the TSM server process.

-Aaron

Back