VMWare backup to Lanfree or not to Lanfree

s_valtchanov

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

As per the introduction of vStorage API support we have begun to use the new functionality. For VM full image backup it is doing pretty good job. We use hardware proxy server with LANfree configured path to TSM's library. So far so good. We use incremental plus full backups. The 128 Mb chunk restore problem seems also to be solved.

But when the question has arisen to restore an individual file here comes the problem. With LANfree backups, all backups reside on tape. The restore time to mount the tape using VMWare mounter from TSM for VE is awful. Not talking about instant restore

Need help with this configuration. If I need to restore indvidual files it seems to be a better idea not use LANfree. Or maybe it is a better idea to use the old fashioned way of BA clients in Guest OS for file level restore and vStorage proxy for fullvm's

Client opt file
VMCHost XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
VMCPW ****
VMCUSER TSMUSR
VMVSTORTRANSPORT san
passwordaccess generate
VMBACKUPTYPE fullvm
VMCTLMC VMCTLMC -> Disk
VMMC STANDARD -> Tape

VMFULLTYPE VSTOR

Still when trying to access individual file from tape mounted over DP for VMWare, the tape has to be positioned at file's sector. Accessing multiple files, that might be on different tapes is very slow.

I know this is per design. I think using LAN-free backup for Full VM images and non LAN-free as different nodename proxy for backups with short retention that will reside on disk for faster file restore.

If anyone uses different technique please advice

Last edited:
Back