VM File Level Restore

illllm

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done a file level restore? I see there is an option called self service file level restore but I dont see any documentation on how to use it. How does one do a file level restore for a VM to another host? i did see some documentation that had a long set of instructions but reading a 10 page instruction manual on how to use the fire extinguisher when caught in the middle of a file is not very cool with IBMs documentation. With other software its just point, click, browse, restore. Just wondering if there is an easy way to do this.

There are several options. There is a web gui option, you can log on to https://your.ISPforVE.server:9081/FileRestoreUI/ and do some file restore options, but this one is limited in many ways.
Other option is to use ISP for VE web UI, https://your.ISPforVE.server:9081/TsmVMwareUI/ go to restore tab, find backup of your VM, and then, instead of clicking on restore button, click on "mount". From there you may choose to do file share and then to access these files over it.
For this to work, you need to have mount proxy nodes set in ISP for VE configuration.
Last, kind of "oldest" option, if your ISP for VE is installed on windows server, you may use Recovery Agent GUI on it, mount some disk of some VM on the server using that GUI, and simply copy files like from disk to disk.

" Last, kind of "oldest" option, if your ISP for VE is installed on windows server, you may use Recovery Agent GUI on it, mount some disk of some VM on the server using that GUI, and simply copy files like from disk to disk. "
I cant get this to work on windows 8.1.11. The mount only offers an iscsi option. The disks mounts but I can't find the disk, not in "disk management", not in "iscsi initiator", and nowhere else. What did I do wrong ? David de Leeuw

You may want to check if Microsoft ISCSI initiator service is running on the Recovery Agent server, and that firewall allows it.

Back