VM backup running slow

rpandey

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have TSM server version 7.1.7.3 running on AIX 7.1. TSM DB size 8.1 TB. Agent base backup running fine. But vm backup running extremely. Checked all avenues ( Network, system resource) and seems all good. What i noticed is cpu utilisation of db2sysc is about 50% and dsmserv is about 12-15%. Any thought why vm backup running slow?

Any thought why vm backup running slow?
It could be a long list of things. It starts on the ESX host where the data is read to the storage pool where it's written to and anything in between.

First thing, what type of storage pool are you backing up to? If tape, does VMCTLMC goes to a management class pointing to a disk base pool (disk, file, container)? If a container pool, have you tried client-side dedup?

TSM DB size 8.1 TB
It's not recommended to go above 6TB. How many database directorie/LUNs, at least 12 I hope? What type of disks for the DB and active log, SSD I hope?

Agent base backup running fine.
What do you mean by agent base? A regular file backup?

What i noticed is cpu utilisation of db2sysc is about 50% and dsmserv is about 12-15%.
That's not out of the norm on a busy server.

Hi Marclant
We are using container storage pool for all vm backup and using proxy server. We have around 1200 vms under 9 vm clusters. Proxy server is physical. We have 13 DB luns and they are SSD. Yes file level backup is the agent base backup.

Client side dedup wold the option. How can i trun on client side dedup? At them moment inline dedup happening on container pool.

Back