Virtual Tapes Setting to unavailble

ryanbsc

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
HI guys

Recently we have had problems starting to show up on our virtual tapes .
We currently run a TSM server 5.5.2.2 on Windows 2003,

And another TSM server on AIX 5.3 , version 5.5.2.0.

Now for the past 3 saturdays at the same time we are getting the following errors

2009-12-05 01:27 ANR1401W Mount request denied for volume SERVER1_TSM.BFS.259976244 - mount failed. (PROCESS: 62)

2009-12-05 01:27 ANR1410W Access mode for volume SERVER1_TSM.BFS.259976244 now set to "unavailable". (PROCESS: 62)

2009-12-05 03:37 ANR1163W Offsite volume SERVER1_TSM.BFS.221366922 still contains files which could not be moved. (PROCESS: 62)

SERVER1_TSM is our AIX TSM SERVER, as its created a link between SERVER1 (AIX) and SERVER 2 ( WINDOWS).

So when The Windows Server backs up its tapes, they are migrated to the AIX server, and then backed up to tape, also when backed up they are backed up to the AIX servers tape library.

The only things that I can see happen when getting these errors is ..

at 01:25 am a Server is backed up at SEVER1 ( AIX)
01:27am SERVER1's Invetory Is expired.
01:28am backup of TSM db

Could this problem be caused by the AIX TSM Server tape lib, running out of mount points?.

When we turn the virtual tape back to available, it stays until the saturday then sets it self to unavailable again, but I cant see anything in the logs that would indicate why its happening.

Any help would be greatley appreciated.

Thanks

Ryan

My guess is problem with that "volume".

Hi There

So could the file be corrupt do you mean?. As the volume is a file.
Thanks

is there a way to rebuild the virtual volume?

any idea's guys? or is this newver been seen before?

Hi,
Can you please describe a bit more your configuration?. Looks like you had a library manager and library client configuration. Library manager appears to be the AIX box.
When you said 'virtual tapes' are you talking about a VTL or FILE device class.

Rudy

file device

Hi rudy

Thanks for getting back to me, sorry I was slightly delayed in getting back to you.
I think its a file device class. Server 2 , uses "files" instead of tapes, when it backs up, so it backs up to a *.bfs file, and it see's these files as volumes.

So I assume this is a virtual tape library? I am still new to TSM so trying to grasp it, the system was pre setup .

Does this make sense? So its complaining that there is an issue with *.bfs volumes, and thus makes one of them unavailable, its a different volume each time.

Is there a list of configuration that would help ? And I'll past it up?

Thanks

If you are trying to use the volumes on the server for which the file device class storage pool is defined, look for the problem with the file (is it still present and has appropriate access rights -on OS level- if existing volume, is there sufficient space for additional volume if it's supposed to be new volume), if you are trying to save data using server to server communication, verify it works both ways as well as rest of s2s configuration.
q vol f=d could help perhaps

Hi, I know this doesnt help you but I am seeing the same fault. I have checked out the storage pool to see if the max scratch volumes had been reached, it hadn't.

I also checked out the status of each volume to see if they where unavailable - they weren't. The only thing that seemed to fix it was the rebooot of the TSM server affected.

Back