Very slow backup with Domino TDP

obiwan2

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi,

my Domino TDP backup takes nearly 8 hrs. to complete !! The amount of data is ~ 1 TB.

The client has mounted a virtual tape in our virtual library and is writing with ~ 3-5 MB/sec (in my opinion very very very slow !!).

Is there a chance to let this work be done in several (parallel) sessions ?
What do I have to do to get a better performance ?

Thanks

Hubert

Hmmm....it doesn't matter if LAN free or not !

The problem is that the Domino-Client mounts a virtual tape over several hours (more than 7 hours !). If this virtual tape is needed for storagepool backup, this job must wait until the Domino-TDP has finished writing...

That's the big problem...

I think this would even happen with LAN free.

Hmmm....it doesn't matter if LAN free or not !

The problem is that the Domino-Client mounts a virtual tape over several hours (more than 7 hours !). If this virtual tape is needed for storagepool backup, this job must wait until the Domino-TDP has finished writing...

That's the big problem...

I think this would even happen with LAN free.

I think you are getting a little confused on how to setup the backup properly.

In a LAN Free setup, it is almost mandatory to have dedicated tape drives to accommodate big backups which is what you have.

Even if you are using VTL, you must have dedicated resources for big backups (and critical in most cases) like these.

My math must be off. 1 TB in 8 hours I think is 36 MB/s. At what speed do your network and NICs run? Is this throughput less than expected for your network environment or about what can reasonably be expected?

That said a storage agent as Moon-buddy indicated is going to be faster assuming you can implement it. Thus it will take less time and the mount time will be less.

Back