vCenter is down, now what??

Dave-s1k

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Since TSM4VE requires vCenter to be up to restore VM's. What if vcenter is down? Without having to purchase more licensing from VMWare (we all know how that goes) to build a secondary vCenter. How are you all protecting vCenter? With our entire datacenter running on VMWare, in a restore scenario vCenter would have to be online first along with its database instance before you can start restoring VM's. What are your backup methods for making sure you are able to restore vCenter with TSM? In our case vCenter is a VM, so backing it up with VE would not be helpful.

Since TSM4VE requires vCenter to be up to restore VM's. What if vcenter is down? Without having to purchase more licensing from VMWare (we all know how that goes) to build a secondary vCenter. How are you all protecting vCenter? With our entire datacenter running on VMWare, in a restore scenario vCenter would have to be online first along with its database instance before you can start restoring VM's. What are your backup methods for making sure you are able to restore vCenter with TSM? In our case vCenter is a VM, so backing it up with VE would not be helpful.

Good chicken or egg scenario. This why I hate Virtual environments.

Anyways, create a DR plan outside of TSM. Make sure you have a vdmk backup of your VCenter, and to make things merrier, a backup of all vdmk!

I was hoping to keep it within TSM, whether it be a client type backup or Fastback type.

Outside of TSM I guess a good plan would be to create another vCenter at our other Datacenter, but was curious how others might be tackling this issue with only one vCenter.

Backup vcenter as VM, in DR perform restore directly to ESXi host

Backup vcenter as VM, in DR perform restore directly to ESXi host

I guess I'm lost on how to do that without vCenter. When I go to restore VE queries vCenter to see which Data Centers are available and which hosts within those Data Centers are available. How are you able to manually restore a VM backed up with VE to a physical host with ESXi installed?

You can restore directly from the Data Mover node using dsmc restore vm command. Before restore, you have to change the preferences using BA Client GUI(ESXi host and password).

Back