VCB Script

npervan13

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hey guys i'm trying to do a fullvm backup onto my vcb server and I have read the v5.4 and 5.5 technical guide on how to do this and they give an example perl script. my question has anyone tested this? and does anybody have one converted to a batch file or something windows can natively run so i don't have to install perl bits on the vcb server?

here is the example of the script.

###########################################################################
# name: vcbfull.pl
# desc: Perform full VMware VCB backups from a backup proxy
# utilizing vcbMounter.exe and dsmc.exe
#
# notes: You will need to customize the variables $VCBPATH and $TSMPATH
# below to match your environment
# This script is provided

Attachments

• fullvmbackup1.doc
    34.5 KB · Views: 185
Hi!
I have implemented VCB on my environment, but on slightly different approach.
I've created separate scripts for each virtual machine.
Sometimes for some reasons not all vms can be snapshotted for vcb purposes, thus backup will be incomplete. You can monitor it better when adding schedules/ scripts for each separate vm. Also there is less disk space needed on the VCB Proxy Node on this approach. You need as much disk space as the largest vm.
Here is a sample of my very simple (but working well!) script:

Code:
c:\Progra~1\Vmware\VMware~1\vcbmounter -h VCIPADDR -u TECHUSER_ON_ESX -p TECH_USER_PASS -a ipaddr:VM_TO_BE_BACKED_UP -r PATH_WHERE_TO_STORE_SNAPSHOT -t fullvm
C:
cd C:\progra~1\tivoli\tsm\baclient\
dsmc i PATH_WHERE_TO_STORE_SNAPSHOT*
D:
c:\Progra~1\Vmware\VMware~1\vcbmounter -h VCIPADDR -u  TECHUSER_ON_ESX -p TECH_USER_PASS -U PATH_WHERE_TO_STORE_SNAPSHOT
So:
1)ESX creates snapshot of desired VM
2)Sends it to VCB Proxy Node
3)TSM takes incremental backup of snapshot
4)Snapshot is being dismounted.

I also utilize subfile backup technology for vm's.

Guys,
Quick question. Do you still use individual node names for each of the VM's that you backup through the proxy server? if so, I guess you have a stack of dsm.opt files for each VM?

Nope. I'm backing up VM images as regular files with the same retention.
But If there were specific requirements on retention, I probably would use stack of dsm.opt files ;)

Back