Using Scratch tape for non-TSM process

krelvin

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
www.tnet.com
I have a need to do a special non-TSM backup using a Tape in the library. I've done this in the past, but can't find my notes on it.

I want to mark one of the existing Scratch tapes as Private so that I can mount it, and write to it using GTAR to transfer a large amount of data (easily fit on one LTO6 tape), to physically take to another library in DR and restore it using the same process.
  • Mark the tape as private
  • Mount it via the library GUI (not using TSM)
  • Write the data to it from gtar to the tape drive device (from the TSM Server which can see it)
  • Unmount the tape
  • Make Read Only
  • Have the tape sent to the other DR.
  • Mount the tape as Read Only
  • Read the tape using Gtar to the other TSM Server which can see the drive, then move the data to the actual server that needs it.
  • Unmount the Tape.
Both libraries are the same type (IBM3484 and drive types) and the TSM Servers are the same version as well. The tape labels are not the same, though I don't think it will make a difference.

Anything wrong with this process?

We are having severe network issues between the two data centers and the backup is between two servers that are not setup for TSM backups. Just seems a lot easier than messing with a portable disk drive which they have already tried a couple times. Total data is only about 200GB.

You should put the TSM path the for drive you will be using offline, so that TSM doesn't try to use the drive while you have a 3rd party using it. You'd get device busy errors if one tries to use the drive while the other is using it.

Actually, you should just checkout the tape from TSM with remove=no instead of making it private. That way, TSM won't have anything to do with it.

Like the checkout idea.... and making the drive offline is something that I forgot about that I'm sure was in my notes that I can't find.

Many thanks!

Back