'upgrading' from Windows to linux for server

bensnyder

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
Posting here because it seems the most logical forum for this question, apologize if I am wrong.

My company currently has TSM 5.1.1 running in Win2k SP2 server. We would like to migrate our TSM server to linux (it's the only production machine that is non-linux) for better stability and our staff is more familiar with linux.

I plan on posting at least this question in the 'Library' forum, but figured I'd ask here too just in case. I am running an IBM 3600 LTO library via LVD SCSI, are there any known issues in getting this library to work with RedHat7.2 or 7.3?

We have a small staff and the rest of the sysadmin's (as well as our owner) have labeled me as the TSM-guru, which I really am not. We've had TSM here since mid-Sept, so we're all pretty inexperienced. I know I need to do the following for the migration:

pray

Migrate all data in diskpoool to tapepool

pray

backup volhist

pray

backup db

pray

am I missing anything? :confused:

I need to know how to get this data reincorporated into the linux-installed TSM server. We do not have DRM, which I am unsure of its applicability since we're changing platforms. If there are any forum posts that might help me out, I'd appreciate a pointer to them (I searched, but couldnt find anything - still learning the TSM jargon so maybe I missed one someehere).

Thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks in advance for any feedback and/or assistance.

If you are moving TSM server to the same operating system.

This is what I would do.

pray <- Never forget this step.

Migrate all data in diskpoool to tapepool

pray

backup volhist

Backup devconfig <- You can recreate this file but I rather not if I can.

Backup dsmerv.opt <- This file can be configured again, but I rather not if I can.

pray

backup db

pray

Restore db on new system.

Run some audit's just to make sure everything is fine.

(Audit volume, audit library...)

Since we are going from a Windows os to a Linux os. The above process is not going to work due to the different file system.

One the source system, export the TSM database.

One the target system, import the TSM database.

As for the IBM LTO, I do not know if there are any issues with Linux 7.2/7.3 .

Sias

Thanks for the feedback, but there's another issue with this endeavor. I, and the rest of the staff here, are TSM rookies (installed in Sept) and have no real clue about how to actually going about restoring the db on the new system (or exporting/importing in this case - 'help export' didnt lead me to anything that seemed to help).

My employer cannot afford to pay a consultant to assist with this project. What are the commands I need to issue? I dont want/need the EXACT commands, just enough to get me to the correct palce in the docs.

Of course, if you want to provide the exact commands, I wont ignore them. :grin:

TIA

To export the TSM database:

export server devclass=menu1 filedata=all

To import the TSM database:

import server devclass=menu1 filedata=all

Before you use the above commands, if you have the TSM Admin Reference and Guide,

review the syntax to make sure that I am correct. Its been some time that I have exported/imported a TSM database.

If you do not have any manuals, here is the URL site.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/tividd/td/tdmktlist.html

If you are nervous about doing the export/import.

I do not know how many TSM clients that you have. Here is another way to move over to the other system. This would be the easiest way.

Have a group about 5-10 TSM Clients, point to the Linux system.

The first time that the client contracts the TSM server, a full backup of the client will be

performed. The next backup will then be an incremental backup.

Then the next day have another group of 5-10 TSM clients point to the Windows system.

You do not want all of your clients to be pointing to the Linux system, there is going to be a lot of network traffic since all the clients will be doing a full backup rather than an incremetal backup.

If the client want to restore the data from the old TSM server.

In the client dsm.opt (for Unix) or dsm.sys (for Windows) change the serveraddress to

the old TSM box. Then do the restore, once this is complete, update the serveraddress to the Windows system.

Over time the data on the Windows system will expired.

Need to look at the copygroup to see how many and how long the files are being kept.

Good luck,

Sias

Hi Ben,

you could set up the new server, set up server-to-server communication and then use the command MOVE NODEDATA to transfer the nodes to the new server one after the other.

Bye

R.

Back