Upgrade TSM 5.5.0.0 to 5.5.4.0

Joris

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi,

I'd like to upgrade my TSM server from version 5.5.0.0 to 5.5.4.0 on Windows 2003.

As far as I know the version to download is this one :

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?&uid=swg24025133

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/stora...r5/WIN/5.5.4.0/5.5.4.0-TIV-TSMSRV-Windows.exe

And the steps are :

- backup db
- backup devconfig
- backup volhist
- copy of devcnfg.out, volhist.out, dsmserv.opt, dsmserv.dsk
- q mount and dismount vol if necessary
- q proc and cancel proc if necessary
- halt
- uninstall TSM Device Driver using Windows "Add or Remove Programs"
- uninstall TSM Server using Windows "Add or Remove Programs"

But do I need to uninstall TSM License ?
I think I don't since it's not included in the 5.5.4.0 setup I downloaded but TSM License will stay at the 5.5.0.0 level.

I'd say it'll work but I'd like to know for sure before upgrading.

- install TSM Server version 5.5.4.0
- install TSM Device Driver version 5.5.4.0
- start the server

Thanks for your help.

PS : what's this for ?

ftp://index.storsys.ibm.com/tivoli-...r5/WIN/5.5.4.0/5.5.4.0-TIV-TSMUPG-Windows.exe

What's the difference between 5.5.4.0-TIV-TSMSRV-Windows.exe and 5.5.4.0-TIV-TSMUPG-Windows.exe ?

Last edited:
Hi Joris,

You're quite correct - the licence package for 5.5.4.0 is that provided with the 5.5 base release - further information on the installation process can be found here:

Tivoli Storage Manager Server and Storage Agent for Windows 5.5.x.x Fix Pack and Interim Fix Installation Instructions >>> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoc....ibm.itsmreadme.doc_5.5/readme_server554.html

HTH,

/David McClelland
London, UK

Thanks for the link but I already knew it.

I found nothing regarding the version of the TSM License.

So you confirm that I don't need to upgrade TSM License 5.5.0.0 ?
I can keep it like that and update TSM Server and Device Driver only ?

Hi Joris,

I found the following statement branching off that link regarding the TSM Licence package:

"To install a fix pack or interim fix to the server, you must have the Tivoli Storage Manager license package installed ... The license package is provided with the purchase of a version 5.5 base release."

Rgds,

/David Mc
London, UK

Thank you !!

So it seems you're a search Master and I'm a search noob... Kudos ;)

Joris, I am curious if you uninstalled TSM Device Driver and also uninstalled TSM Server previous to applying the TSM 5.5.4.0 upgrade to the 5.5.0.0 server. We are planning to upgrade our TSM 5.5.0.0 server to TSM 5.5.4.0 on a Windows 2003 server next week.

I have not yet found any information that states we need to uninstall the current version prior to installing the TSM 5.5.4.0 upgrade.

Any information you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks,
Mitch

Yes I did it, I only had a problem regarding the licence but since it's not included in v5.5.4.0 you've got to keep it.

I did what you can read in my first post (I edited it after the upgrade) and it worked.

IBM states that you need to uninstall TSM Server here :

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoc...e_windows36.htm#dqx2t_srvr_wnt_upgrd_pre_vers

I hope you'll see it in English cause it links to a french page for me (cause, obviously, I'm living in France and changing the language of the website did'nt helped).

If not : download or browse online the installation guide for "Storage Manager for Windows Server". Go to chapter 1 and you'll see it under something like "Upgrade to Tivoli Storage Manager Version 5.5"

Good upgrade.

That document discusses upgrading from previous versions. It seems that going from 5.5.0.0 to 5.5.4.0 is more of an "update" since it is still the same version (ie: 5.5.x.x). 5.5.4.0 appears to include only "fixes and updates".

Here is the link I was directed to:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoc....ibm.itsmreadme.doc_5.5/readme_server554.html

It mentions nothing about uninstalling, only backing up the database (which I have done) and then executing the file I downloaded (5.5.4.0-TIV-TSMSRV-Windows.exe).

I'd hate to go thru the process of uninstalling the app as well as the device drivers only have to have to install & configure the drivers again.

As long as TSM 5.5.0.0 is installed and you upgrade to 5.5.4.0 you do not need the license file. This is interim fixes for all different APAR. You need new license key only for major version upgrade. eg 5.5.x.x to 6.x.x.x

Thanks, Patelp. I figured that based on the document from IBM's website. We are contemplating upgrading to 6.x.x.x, but have decided to take it in little steps since we still have a few Windows 2000 servers. Once we get all servers moved to Windows 2003/2008, then I think we'll move forward with the upgrade to 6.x.x.x.

You can safely install 5.5.4.0 over 5.5.0.0. I have upgraded from 5.5.0.0 --> 5.5.2.0 --> 5.5.2.1 without uninstalling. And then from 5.5.2.1 to 5.5.4.0 and 5.5.4.1. This is all without touching license files.

If I remember correctly, you need to uninstall if on AIX, and not if you are on windows, so everyone is right :)

On AIX, going to 5.3 from an earlier version I did an uninstall. Going from 5.3 to 5.4 I just did an upgrade without doing an uninstall. At least thats what my notes said.

Upgrade good, but still issue with database cache hit ratio

Thanks to all who posted suggestions and links on regarding the upgrade. Yesterday, I finally upgraded our TSM Server 5.5.0.0 to 5.5.4.0 and it went SMOOTH! Backups last night were successful. However, the one issue I thought the upgrade would resolve does not seem to be resolved.

We've had issues with the database cache hit ratio for quite some time. This morning's message:

Database Cache Hit Ratio is too low. Condition (96.7 < 98 )
Recommendation: Increase bufferpool size value.

This server has 4GB of memory and the suggested setting for the buffer pool size is 512MB. That is what it is (and was previously) set to in the DSMSERV.OPT file.

What can we do to find out WHEN the cache hits extend past the set limit and what can we do to resolve it?

You can modify the bufferpool size any time in dsmserv.opt file. You can try to increase to set to 768. It will vary everyday depends upon activity. I have set to 1 GIG. Just increase by 256 MB and see what happened. You do not want to increase too much.
After making changes you need to restart the server.

If it is windows server and if you pass limit. the Tsm Server service will fail. To resolve this issue. you need go to dos prompt
c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\server1\ and start dsmserv. After the database initliazation, you will see if you pass the limit. It will give you error about memory. This indicate that you pass the limit

You can modify the bufferpool size any time in dsmserv.opt file. You can try to increase to set to 768. It will vary everyday depends upon activity. I have set to 1 GIG. Just increase by 256 MB and see what happened. You do not want to increase too much.
After making changes you need to restart the server.

I don't think you need to restart the server after adjusting the bufferpool size. The below command can be execute in TSM and TSM will adjust to new size.

Code:
tsm> setopt bufpoolsize <NEW_SIZE>

Back