Upgrade TSM 4.2.1.16 to 5.2

comtec17

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello all,

I am getting ready to upgrade my TSM 4.2.1.16 environment to TSM 5.2. I have read through the quickstart guide and am very upset. It is mentioned that you must uninstall your current version of TSM and then install 5.2.

My question is: Has anyone upgraded from 4.2 or 5.1 to version 5.2? If so, did you have to uninstall everything or did you just install over the top?

Thanks in advance,

CoMteC17

Hey! Sorry if this sounds stupid, but what OS are you using? Usually, if it's Solaris, you have to uninstall then reinstall the packages. It's normally not a big deal providing you first make copies of your volume history file, the dsmserv.opt file, the devices file and . . . well, to avoid doing all this, I'll usually tar up the whole damn directory and if I run into issues, untar it and copy the files over. The one thing I can warn you about right now is that you'll notice none of your devices will work!! This is because you'll need to define paths to the library and all it's drives.

Aside from that, not much else changes . . . You MIGHT have to do an "upgrade db" command if you see that you can't restore you TSM database.

I hope this helps!!

sERGE

Another point to be aware of when upgrading from 4.2 to 5.1 (or 5.2)...

The "upgradedb" can potentially take a significant amount of time to complete (i.e. multiple hours to a few days depending on the severity). You should be aware that TSM will be down during this upgrade process.

There are some IBM Solutions written on the issue (i.e. it requires a login, but check out Reference #: 1112807

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=663&context=SSGSG7&q=1112807&uid=swg21112807&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en)

This down time can be avoided. Basically, you should first upgrade to 4.2.3.x. Then issue the following from a TSM Server command line:

cleanup backupgroups

This will run as a server process (i.e. just like migration, reclamation, etc) that can be queried ("q pr") or canceled. Once it completes successfully, then you should be able to upgrade without much issue.

I would highly suggest reading the reference 1112807 above (or other related articles on "cleanup backupgroups") before upgrading to 5.2.

--Brian

Thanks for all the info. I have successfully update my TSM 4.2.1.13 to 4.2.3 then to 5.1. I had to unistall 5.1 and install 5.2 which automatically updated the database and I am able to successfully do restores and backups.

Thanks again for all you help.

Back