Upgrade to Windows 5.5.2 ... reboot?

LarryB

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
www.telstraclear.co.nz
Hi,

Simple question for someone in the know. I am upgrading from (CLIENT) 5.3.4 to 5.5.2 on windows 2003 SP2.

Does it require a reboot of the server after the upgrade? Sometimes it comes up with a vague message to reboot. However, I seem to remember some advice to ignore this message. I not sure where though???

Also, from the client. If I issue a dsmc incremental This would do an incremental backup of the client. However, would this read the include and exclude part of the dsm.sys and dsm.opt file on the client?

thanks for any assistence

Why on earth would you need to reboot the TSM server after upgrading the client? To answer your question, NO.
Sometimes the client will ask you to reboot if it updates the LVSA drivers (Windows only for open file support) Other times it might need to reboot because a file might have become locked preventing the service from restarting. I manage roughly 2700 TSM clients on various platforms on just 2 AIX servers. Our site is constantly upgrading/installing TSM clients. Generally I only reboot the server every few weeks.

While nothing is for certain with a Windows OS...

My experience has shown:
- if you stop the TSM Client services prior to the upgrade, the chances of needing a reboot are very, very slim.

- if you leave the TSM client services running during the upgrade process, the chances of needing a reboot go up dramatically.

Why on earth would you need to reboot the TSM server after upgrading the client? To answer your question, NO.
Sometimes the client will ask you to reboot if it updates the LVSA drivers (Windows only for open file support) Other times it might need to reboot because a file might have become locked preventing the service from restarting. I manage roughly 2700 TSM clients on various platforms on just 2 AIX servers. Our site is constantly upgrading/installing TSM clients. Generally I only reboot the server every few weeks.

Yes, my query was a bit vague. I am only talking about reboot of clients

Back