Upgrade from TSM 5.4 to TSM 5.5

mabdullah

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
HI,

i'm planning to upgrade my TSM 5.4 to TSM 5.5(TSM run on windows server) ..i have some questions regarding the upgrade process :

1-Do i need to upgrade all my BA agent on windows and AIX servers or BA 5.4 will work normally..

2-Do i need to upgrade TDP for Exchange & SQL or the current one will work with TSM 5.5.

3-how about TSM licensing do i need new license's for TSM 5.5 ????? or the TSM 5.5 will work with same TSM 5.4 license's..

thanks...

Hi,

1) no - old clients will work with TSM 5.5. You just need to upgrade your storage agents (lanfree agents) if you have any
2) no - old TDPs work
3) licensing stays - during installation of TSM 5.5 just install TSM licenses package
after upgrade just check "q lic" if TSM Basic/Extended is licensed

Harry

There are also some prereq's on the SQL side if running SQL 2000 with TSM 5.5. Make sure you install these also.

Hi..

Do i need to uninstall first and then install 5.5 or can i do an upgrade over the top for server? And is it the same for clients? how about my old TSM database...is there anything to do about it ....

hi,
from my own experience, you can upgrade over the top for the server, but you'd better uninstall old clients before installing the new one, because i have has a few problems in the past not doing that. Also, do a reboot after uninstalling the old client. All the parameters of your configuration files won't go lost, you'll just have to run the setup.

cheers
max

hi,

what about TSM database...after the upgrade do i need to do anything with it or it will be working fine???

it should be working fine, because database is automatically upgraded during the installa-
tion of the Tivoli Storage Manager V5.5 server.

cheers
max

All old client running on TSM 5.5, TDP to.
It's normaly, because if you have some servers on W2K or NT you have a compatibility.

NT = 5.1.1.5 maximum
W2K = 5.3.6.0 maximum

But now, if you can, upgrade all in 5.5.1.10 for W2K3 and 5.5.1.11 for AIX

On AIX install in fist TSM Server 5.5.0.0 with licences and it's necessary to Upgrade in 5.5.1.0 for Upgarde in 5.5.2.0 the lastles version.

In firstBackup your TSM Db , because you canot comeback in 5.4 after.
Upgrade in 5.5.0.0 and run ./dsmserv upgradedb
After you can upgrade in 5.5.x.x
If you have a problem, you can comeback in 5.4 with the dbbackup.
But it's running very good in 5.5.2.0.

After login on tsm with dsmadmc and run :
ACCEPT DATE
reg lic /usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin/*.lic
( if you have the licence ! )

Regards.

Fred

Just, if you are going in 5.5 client on windows 2K3, you need to have the SP2 minimun.
But be carrefull if you are in SP1, because if you have an SQL Server, Net Framwork 2 is needed, and SQL Server need to be upgrade to.
See your DBA before for this.

Also consider preparing yourself for TSM recovery, before upgrading from 5.4 to 5.5. In my case standard upgrade resulted in total crash of TSM server, so I had to recover.
Thankfully I've managed to recover my TSM server on 5.5 (from 5.4).

If The TSM Server crach, go to the server repository en run dsmserv for seeing why it crash on the log...

After we can find something for resolving the problem.

hi,

i was doing test upgrade in my test lab...and the upgrade was fine...but i ntoiced that i have to upgrade also my ISC to the latest version also....
whats surprising me that TSM server licenese not part of the TSM 5.5 ...only i can install TSM server and TSM driver....is that ok....

The TSM licenses are part of full 5.5 version.
You probably download the TSM server from a ftp server. In that case it contains only the TSM server and driver.
The only possibility to download the full package is from Passport Advantage website.
Not having licenses is a big problem.

Regards. Wim.

HI,

i did the upgrade ..it was very smooth...thanks guys for the info...

Back