Upgrade (?) from AIX 4.3.3/TSM 4.2.3 -> Win2K/TSM 5.x

sdeless

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello. I am being forced by management for reasons that are purely too political to go into here to move my TSM server (currently v4.2.3) from an AIX 4.3.3 server to a Win 2K server. I am ultimately going to wind up at TSM version 5.x (whatever the lastest version is, I believe 5.2?). I have seen other posts on here that suggest that first I have to install v4.2.3 on the Win2K server, uninstall it, and then install v5.x. Is this true? I was thinking that I could just backup the database to disk on the TSM server, move it to the Win2K server, and then restore it on the Win2K box with the newer version. Am I completely off in my thinking here?

Thanks,

Sean DeLessio

Hi,

TSM on Windows is no problem at all - you should not be so grumpy :)

It is correct that you have to install the same version on the new system, as this is the version the db was backed up with, before you can restore db. Then you need to update the db in increments before the final version/maitenance. Newer upgradedbs are not cumulative(!).

I suggest a base version first - 4.2.0.0, then maintenance (4.2.3.0) and db restore. This will conclude the v4.

Then install 5.1.0.0 and verify that db is ok - run it from cmd: dsmserv and see the status.

Some have upgraded to 5.1.5.0 before 5.1.7.3, but I have found 5.1.0.0 -> 5.1.7.3 to work successfully. Install 5.1.7.3 and start dsmserv to verify. Run CLEANUP BACKUPGROUPS before you upgrade to 5.2.0.0. This is important - see flash10258 for details.

Then you are in for something astonishing: you must completely uninstall TSM before you can "upgrade" to 5.2. It has previosulsy been stated that this would not be necessary, but for some reason the development team has not bothered to prepare upgrade routines and force us to to the job. Upgrading from 3.7.x.x or 4.1.x.x is documented that an uninstall is required, but also that "It is TSM's goal to not require an uninstall for future packages."

Nevertheless it is required from 5.1 to 5.2 - see section "TSM Server Upgrade Issues for version 5.1.0.0" in READ1STS.TXT. You will also see that despite a complete uninstall you will receive a message that old version must be uninstalled before install(!) This is due to the fact that files are left on the system!(!) I have found that license and device files are NOT removed after uninstall. Also that ptf value in Registry is not set to blank/deleted.

You will need to manually clean up this mess in order to install 5.2.0.0 components. I can not find any good reason for this, nor see any "Best Practice" at work here! A properly developed msi-based installation with custom made add-ons would have made a normal upgrade possible with ease! I have not experienced this with any competing products since the early/mid nineties.

When you have upgraded to 5.2, you can install the latest maintenance/patch of your choice. Latest is 5.2.2.0/5.2.2.1. I have found issues with it on Win2003 (objects in Console deleted, desktop objects deleted, and unable to see libraries when LTO2 drives are present (non IBM solutions). I currently use 5.2.1.2 as the latest, pending an ESR issue I have going with IBM support.

I bid you good luck!

Regards

Morten Ross

Back