Upgrade 5.3 to 5.4 (5.5)

LarryB

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
www.telstraclear.co.nz
Hi all,

As 5.3.4 is out of support, we are looking at 5.4.X. Some thought full questions, (that everone would want to know).

1. Is 5.4.X more resource intensive (use more than 5.3.X) ? The reason I ask is our current situation is we are just getting through the day as it is.... with very little room to spare. I guess going up a version will always use more resources, but how much more ?

2. Upgrading Clients
Do I upgrade the clients first ? For example, can I upgrade the clients to 5.4.X then the Server to 5.4. At the moment I am asking the team to upgrade the client to 5.3.4 (no greater than the server) as I am concerned the client may use something (a function) the server doesn't known about...error

3. If I want to... can I upgrade to 5.5.X with the same number of issue and degree of effort ?

4. How compatiable is 5.3.X and 5.4.X. As I will need to upgrade one before the other... if you know what I mean? Any issues?

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
In the upgrades I've done to 5.4 and 5.5, I have had clients from 5.2 to 5.5 and been fine (though the 5.2 and 5.3 clients aren't supported at this point).

I haven't seen a significant difference between TSM Servers running 5.4 (or 5.5) vs 5.3...though I have not worked on any really constrained TSM servers lately.

You can upgrade to 5.4.X or straight to 5.5.X...this processes are virtually the same regardles of which one you go to first.

Take a look at the following URL...it should give you a lot of answers:
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=663&uid=swg21287023

Back