Unknown Message in the dsmerror.log

scott-davidson

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I get the following error message on several of my newest Windows 2003 servers.

10/01/2007 12:51:59 transSrvAttribDep(): Unknown Dep Attrib, setting to 0.

This message is repeated over and over again. I do not undestand the meaning of this message. I hope that someone out there has come across this before and has solved this problem. I am not able to run a scheduled back and when I run a manual backup this message start to occur and I must kill the manual backup.

Any ideas out there on how i might fix this?

Thanks to all

Hi.

How about the TSM server itself? What are the activity logs like at around that time? Maybe some information that could be useful?
Do the TSM services start on those servers?

To Sgabriel62: Thanks sir. No, there are no ANS or codes of any description other than what I put into my orginal question.

To: Stephen This message (in my orginal post) has been showing up in only my new installs onto Windows 2003 servers with SP2. I even down graded my client version from 5.4.0.2 to 5.4.3 without any luck. My initial thought here is, There is something about the OS on the client that is causing my problem. I was hoping that this has happen before and there might be a solution to it.

Here is a message from just one of the several servers affected by this bug..

Date: xxxxxxxxx Source: TsmVssPlugin
Time: XXXXXXX Category: None
Type: Information Event ID: 4097
Users Proxxxxxxx\Administrator
Computer Proxxxxxx

Description:
The description for Event ID (4097) in Source (TsmVssPlugin) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description: see Help and Support for detail. The following information is part of the event: Signaling VSS writers that the backup operation has completed.

This is just another problem with Vss that seems to be everywhere.

Yep I can replicate this error message, I now have the same issue but on clustered nodes where the passive node displays the errors while the active node passes successfully.. Go figure.
I'll be opening a PMR obviously

Here is a message from just one of the several servers affected by this bug..

Date: xxxxxxxxx Source: TsmVssPlugin
Time: XXXXXXX Category: None
Type: Information Event ID: 4097
Users Proxxxxxxx\Administrator
Computer Proxxxxxx

Description:...........

This is just another problem with Vss that seems to be everywhere.

Hmm. This error precedes a TSM client-crash, and halt of the backup on about 5 of my servers, all running 2003 SP2, appears to have started a week ago. TSM Client running is 5.3.4.12.

The schedlog just stops mid-stream.

Tsmvssplugin Issue

Did you ever find a solution for this problem, I am having the same issues here at my site but only on a few of my 2003 servers with version 5.4.2

Anything ever become of this problem? I have it too, on Windows 2003 SP2 clusters. TSM BA client is 5.3.4.0.

I'm having this same issue as well, and on speaking with IBM, they're suggesting that it's more of a problem with the Microsoft VSS and not necessarily TsmVssPlugin (which, as I understand it, merely calls the Microsoft plugin).

Anyone else come up with anything that could resolve this? I've tried upgrading from 5.4.1.0 to 5.4.1.3, but with no luck (obviously). FWIW my TSMLVSA.SYS is dated 23/9/2007.

In addition, can I clear the tsmlvsacache folder? It only seems to have generated this when these problems started happening, but I didn't bother removing it since I patched.

Anyone ever find out what is causing this? I'm running 5.4.0.4 and the client lost it's network connectivity last night, flagging this issue and causing an alert to the Windows admin.

The backup was running for about an hour, then suddenly....

11/02/2008 22:23:32 ANS1802E Incremental backup of '\\rcha3080\c$' finished with 12 failure
11/02/2008 23:52:41 sessSendVerb: Error sending Verb, rc: -50
11/02/2008 23:52:41 ANS1999E Incremental processing of '\\rcha3080\d$' stopped.
11/02/2008 23:52:41 ANS1228E Sending of object 'SYSTEM STATE' failed
11/02/2008 23:52:41 ANS1017E Session rejected: TCP/IP connection failure
11/02/2008 23:52:45 sessSendVerb: Error sending Verb, rc: -50

And the Windows 2003 server is now unavailable on the network until a reboot.

Last edited:
Back