Unable to read disk definition file dsmserv.dsk

sweater

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
ANR0208W Partial write detected on recovery log errors

EDIT: missed the (probably) more important top line of the output at the top - not sure how the path to the dsmserv.opt file got set as D:\\ when it's supposed to be c:\Program Files\Tivoli\tsm\server1

We recently suffered a RAID problem on our TSM server (Win2k with 5.2.0.2 still on it).

I've been able to restore the RAID set and get the machine booted and recognizing all the logical volumes on the server. However, the TSM server service will not start - starts, then stops immediately.

Running dsmserv from the command line produces:

ANR0905W Options file D:\\dsmserv.opt not found.

<snip>

ANR0990I Server restart-recovery in progress.
ANR0212E Unable to read disk definition file dsmserv.dsk

Checking for it, that file is there with the following:

#dsk_comment#page_shadow_token:1080305130108
C:\PROGRAM FILES\TIVOLI\TSM\SERVER1\LOG1.DSM
C:\PROGRAM FILES\TIVOLI\TSM\SERVER1\DB1.DSM
D:\LOG.DSM
J:\DB0.DSM

I've tried some suggestions found elsewhere - deleting that top line, recreating a new file with just the D: and J: entries (those are the only ones that matter, I think). No luck.

Something I'm missing...?

TIA,
mike

Last edited:
OK - was able to resolve the .opt errors by editing the path to TSM server in the registry. Apparently that gets updated when things don't start right...

Anyhow - now we're at this point:

ANR0208W Partial write detected on recovery log volume D:\LOG.DSM, logical page 15872 (physical page 14080)
ANR9999D logseq.c(758 ): ThreadId<0> Error 3 reading 64 pages from page0, offset 256

And it still doesn't start. I'm confused by the error description that IBM gives:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoc...x.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.itsmm.doc/anrcmsg117.htm

"User response
See accompanying messages for information about the volume in error."

Is this an issue where I should be trying to create a new log for server1? And if so, how?

- mike

Back