Unable to query or enable append-only mode on drive "ANR8996W"

fanna

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Dears, here I have my TSM server 6.3.1 with Windows server 2008 R2, everything is in normal operation except below:
ANR8996W Unable to query or enable append-only mode on drive DRV1 (mt0.0.0.3). (SESSION: 9894)

I know that ANR8996W would be solved by using CHECKTAPEPOS command, but it's current value is YES and still get this error, then what should I set?

Just happens on this drive and not to other drives?

Yes moon, it happens on this drive only, note that this 6.3 server is holding just this drive "from a TS3200", and there is another drive attached to another TSM 5.5 server with no error like this!!
P.S The TS3200 TL is with 2 drives under 2 logical libraries...

Have you tried updating the drive's firmware and used a later driver?

What happens if you switch the two drives?

Have you tried updating the drive's firmware and used a later driver?

What happens if you switch the two drives?

Ok moon, I already did finished updating latest firmeware level for TL and drives..
Regarding replacing drives on both different TSM servers, I thought with this but didn't proceed with ....

Fanna, I am also have the exact same problem with 6.3.1 on Windows Server 2008 R2. I am running a TS3100 library and have it occurring on both drives. I have yet to find a solution, will be probably opening a PMR with IBM.

Fanna, I am also have the exact same problem with 6.3.1 on Windows Server 2008 R2. I am running a TS3100 library and have it occurring on both drives. I have yet to find a solution, will be probably opening a PMR with IBM.

Could you share more details, moon questions below:
What about the firmeware levels TL/Drives?
What about the device driver?
I guess 2008 R2 is 64bit only, right?

Could you share more details, moon questions below:
What about the firmeware levels TL/Drives?
What about the device driver?
I guess 2008 R2 is 64bit only, right?

I haven't updated the firmware on the TL or Drives, yet. I'll double check again, but I do believe we were on the latest firmware for both.
Device driver is latest and greatest from IBM.
You are correct... 2008 R2 is 64bit.

However, the errors haven't caused us any issues, but with anything I would like to get the errors cleaned up.

This is set by default to 'yes'

Curious to if the 'driveonly' option fixed the errors?

If you just don't want to see that error, just set it to no or tsmonly. I set it to no and no more errors. I am actually not quite sure how this option is useful, as I am not sure in what circumstances it will trigger data overwrite...

BTW I am using TSM server 6.2.4.0 with TS3310 and encountered this error. Have implemented a few TSM server 6.2.2+/6.3+ with TS3100/TS3200/TS3310 (LTO5) but never saw this error before.

According to IBM, that CHECKTAPEPOS option has been there since 6.2.2. And nothing reported until recently I saw this post. Probably an error from newer versions...

If you have time and resources perhaps you can use an older version of TSM server with LTO5 libraries for testing to see if that error occurs... What I can say is, I just checked one of the clients' older TSM server with version 6.2.2.2, using TS3310 LTO5 drives with CHECKTAPEPOS=YES and no such errors occured.

Last edited:
I updated mentioned parameter with NO and also to be sure I restarted the TSM services and waiting, I selected NO because it was the value always till version 6.1, and now if you review the differences between the 4 values you will understand that you could use each with no effect on backup operations, it's only related to APPEND issue and this we could test within like a month what would be the effect, now am waiting for my update, and will inform you with what happened, thanks

Back