Unable to DEfine Path for Stand alone drive

kvwar

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I want to perform NDMP backups to a stand alone tape drive that is connected directly to the NDMP storage(NetApp)

Since it is a stand alone drive I created a manual library:
DEFINE LIBRARY tsmlib LIBTYPE=MANUAL SHARED=NO

DEFINE DEVCLASS tsmdevclass DEVTYPE=NAS LIBRARY=tsmlib MOUNTRETENTION=0 ESTCAPACITY=100g

DEFINE STGPOOL tsmstgpool tsmdevclass MAXSCRATCH=10 DATAFORMAT=NDMPDUMP

DEFINE DOMAIN tsmdomain

DEFINE POLICYSET tsmdomain tsmpolicyset

DEFINE MGMTCLASS tsmdomain tsmpolicyset tsmmgmtclass

ASSIGN DEFMGMTCLASS tsmdomain tsmpolicyset tsmmgmtclass

DEFINE COPYGROUP tsmdomain tsmpolicyset tsmmgmtclass DESTINATION=tsmstgpool TOCDESTINATION=BACKUPPOOL

ACTIVATE POLICYSET tsmdomain tsmpolicyset

REGISTER NODE FILER08 scum DOMAIN=tsmdomain TYPE=NAS

then I defined the DATAMOVER
Data Mover Name Data Mover Type On-Line
------------------------------- --------------- -------
FILER08 NAS Yes

DEFINE DRIVE TSMLIB TSMDRIVE1

DEFINE PATH FILER08 tsmdrive1 SRCTYPE=DATAMOVER DESTTYPE=DRIVE LIBRARY=tsmlib device=rst0a

The above command fails with a message that the library is not a SCSI library. Could you please help in defining drive path of a stand alone drive.

test this :

DEFINE PATH FILER08 tsmdrive1 SRCTYPE=server DESTTYPE=DRIVE LIBRARY=tsmlib device=rst0a online=yes

Data moves from NetApp storage to drive.
In that case shouldnt the data mover be the filer and not the server.
I tried the command it came back with the error stating FILER08 is identified.

TSM doesn't support stand alone tape drives attached to the filer for NDMP backups. You must use a library definition of LIBTYPE=SCSI (or ACSLS, 349X). Since NDMP operations require a media changer device you would then need a path to the library device also.

For manual drive, defining path is not necessary. By default , TSM itself will identify the drive.

Are you sure?

At the very least it can't hurt - I have defined a path to my standalone drive and it's working flawlessly.

Back