Tsmsql 6.3.0.1

Rhuobhe

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

So I decided to briefly checkout what the 6.3 tdp client was like.

I could only find one version on the IBM site (6.3.0.1-TIV-TSMSQL-Win). Is there no seperate version for x32 and x64?

Anyways, I installed it on my machine and found that the structure was completely different. Apparently it is a variant of flash copy manager (which is new to me).

In summary, I was unable to open the client because my original license file is not found or valid. In the v5 tdp client I used to place this license file along with the dsm.opt inside "C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\TDPSql" but with this version this does not exist. instead there is a new FCM directory and placing the license file here did not work.

Any pointers please?

Thank you very much

PREDATAR Control23

What I found out is that TDP for SQL 6.3 is based around Tivoli Storage FlashCopy that provides some kind of overview of jobs etc etc that related to the TDP for SQL client. The new package contains both 32bit and 64bit version.

The manual (which I really reccomend reading - it provides a lot of "what's new"!) states

A new MMC GUI that enhances the user experience of Data Protection for SQL is available

When launching "DP For SQL Management Console" for the first time there's a Wizard that start up as the first thing.

Upon completion of this wizard the "normal" (ie. as we know from TDP for SQL 5.5.x) TDP GUI is installed.

I downloaded the following from PassportAdvantage:

* IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for Databases 6.3 (Data Protection for Microsoft SQL Server) Multiplatform Multilingual (CI3M5ML)

This is a GA release that contains a license for FlashCopy as well as a .lic file for TDP for SQL (same as we are used to from 5.5.x version) and I get the install/setup wizard I mentioned when starting the console.

However, I have also downloaded the same package you mention - 6.3.0.1-TIV-TSMSQL-Win.exe - which is a newer version than the one I got from PassportAdvantage.

After installing version 6.3.0.1 on top of 6.3.0.0 and starting "DP For SQL Management Console" I was presented with this image:
6.3.0.1-initial.png

I googled a bit, STFM (S = Searched), RTFM around installing, but came up with nothing...

So I tried to do what the screenshot recommended:

Install the product again by running SetupFCM. SetupFCM is located in the root of your GA media. SetupFCM stores the media location in the registry when it is run. This will help ensure that the correct licenses can be found.

So I reran the 6.3.0.0 SetupFCM, and was presented with:
6.3.0.0-reinstall1.png
After clicking OK came this:
6.3.0.0-reinstall2.png
Which was not really sooo comforting, but hey - it worked!

When I tried to start "DP For SQL Management Console" again I was greeted by the Wizard!

And this is where I'm at at the moment. I'm testing and playing around with the new MMC console as the TDP for SQL GUI we all know from 5.5.x is the same as always..

PREDATAR Control23

Alas.. Rerunning the 6.3.0.0 installer again was no where near enough, as that just gave me a TDP for SQL 6.3.0.0 after completion of the wizard, and not 6.3.0.1 as I wanted.

But I have found a workaround that involves placing the sqlclient.lic file in a part of the install-files for 6.3.0.1 and then running the setup.

In the following <basedir> is defined as the directory where you have SetupFCM.exe for 6.3.0.1.

Place a copy - either from the GA version of 6.3.0.0 from PassportAdvantage or an old 5.5.x - in this directory:

<basedir>\fcm\x64\sql\6301\enu\Program Files 64\Tivoli\TSM\TDPSql\

Be warned that this path will most likely change with new versions (the 6301 part anyway.)

That's enough for the MMC console to be happy and everything to work as expected.

At the moment I'm trying to see what added value the new MMC console gives me that the normal TDP for SQL GUI doesn't - right now I'm trying to understand why and how things are connected, and unless you use VSS for backup (which I don't) I can't really see any improvements..