TSM Vs Backupexec

bphealy

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on TSM Vs Backupexec from a technical view point. Where does one product outshine the other?. I know when looking at both it is very much chalk and cheese but I would like to compare both from and "almost" neutral point of view.

One is an Enterprise Data Management Solution, the other is not.

Guess which one?

If you have many nodes and many different applications intermixed within these nodes to backup and recover plus a DR solution, you are better off with an Enterprise Solution.

TSM is enterprise that is agreed, but what specific features/functions in TSM make it stand above backupexec ?

I would say that the on e unique thing about tsm is that it is data centric, when running tsm you do not care about what volume to allocate for saturdays
full full backup or what volumes shal receive the data from MS SQL. Instead you define rules on how the data will flow through the system according to the organisations
requirements not according to what the application requires.

That was not what you asked but that describes what TSM is(are?).

Here is a brilliant text from
http://adsm.org/forum/showthread.ph...s-s-Boss-and-his-Boss&highlight=tsm+netbackup

Tell them that the old way (their choice to do full + increm) was a very viable, dependable option. But with today's intensive growth scale of data retention, and need to provide redunancy for business continuity, we have a better way of doing it. It will not only reduce the unecessary need for redundant data (versions of files re-backed up with the Full), but with new versions of TSM (6.x) it will even provide de-duplication to your diskpool.

Also throw in the executive dazzle words, like encryption, hierarchical storage management, data integrity, bare-metal restores, etc. Stay away from things like backup windows and stuff like that; IMHO they could care less if you struggle with getting your servers backed up overnight. They want to know what is the best (cheapest) way to backup data correctly. If you use VM's note the way that Tivoli licenses the VM's per host with their PVU's (Processor Value Units). You get more bang for your buck there.

Remember to use flashy items for visual aides, smile and laugh at strange times (waiting for them to nervously laugh as well while not knowing why), and use Yogi Berra quotes whenever possible. You will do fine.

Back